Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My husband,42, went to the er for a small toe infection (we think a spider bit him) and it turned out to be serious because of his uncontrolled diabetes. He had to have surgery on the toe to remove the infection and was in the hospital for 6 days because of diabetes complications. He was put on insulin for the first time. (I wish we went on insulin sooner) Anyhow, while he was in the hospital, he didn't get up to walk at all. He was just laying in the hospital bed with his foot up. When he went home, he kept his foot up also. I think this is why he got the blood clot. A few days later the nurse came to change his bandages and noticed one foot was colder than the other and she said it might be a blood clot. (also he was using crutches and had to keep his left leg bent in order to get around.) We went to the er and sure enough they admitted him and said he had a blood clot on his lower leg. They kept him in the hospital for about 3 days this time. The hospital was wonderful and this time he will definitely watch his diet. He went home and is now on insulin, Lovenox shots 2x daily and also Warfarin 1 1/2 a day. His INR keeps changing slightly because he ran out of Lovenox shots at one point. At one point he was off Lovenox but just recently had to take them again. Anyhow, we have a great doctors office that is monitoring it so I hope all goes well. Also he was drinking lots of Green Tea which I think is High in Vitamin K. So I think I missed this when I was reading the things not to eat. I read everything but didn't catch the Green tea till my nurse sent me another book. so no green tea if you're on warfarin. Thanks MedicineNet.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Hi I have had heart attacks strokes from blood clots. The doctors couldn't figure out why i was having heart attacks at my age my arteries were clear. They did a test and found I had Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS). This syndrome causes your blood to clot in woman it causes mischarges. I was put on warfarin and have to stay on it for the rest of my life. I recently was bleeding out in to my lungs and the cavity around the heart they took me of blood thinners and i threw a clot destroying left arm making it useless. I have had a nightmare and continued one as im sure all of u have. If you feel something is wrong and if u think your doctor isn't listening then see another this has saved my life and my family and friends.

Comment from: alecia60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I found out on 1/16/15 in the emergency room that I have blood clots in my right leg. I was admitted for less than 24 hours and sent home. I was given medication and was given appointment 9 days later. I was told that I will have problems with blood clots the rest of my life. I'm 60 years old now, I wonder it there should have been something else done.

Comment from: cwb, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 06

I had recent knee replacement on the 15th. Two days later my oxygen levels went down and a nurse noticed this while checking me. I had a scan and found I had a pulmonary embolism. I was in the ICU for four days and then at rehabilitation for two weeks. I had shots in the stomach for 10 days and will be on Coumadin for up to six months. I think there was a mix up in the surgery and no one wants to talk about that.

Comment from: Penni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I get random blood clots on my leg, without any injury. It doesn't hurt but I'm just worried because it's big and lasts for weeks.

Comment from: ziba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a surgery 5 days ago for removing uterus. After 3 to 4 days I found some blood clots in several places on my right leg. I could not walk well. I have had an MRI test. I am still under treatment.

Comment from: susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have 3 blot clots that is not very deep, only in the veins. I took Disprin water and tried everything, was in bed for 3 days. The pain is gone but the burning feeling is still there, the clots are not thinner. The doctor said I must walk it will help. I did that and the pain is back so bad that I ended up in bed. I don't know what the right thing to do is, walk or rest.

Comment from: MICHAEL, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

When I came home to my fiancé we had sex a few times but had no problems. On the fifth day during intercourse blood profusely came out of my penis along with large blood clots. There was no pain involved and it stopped after I lost my erection. A day later I was getting an erection and the bleeding started again, I am going to seek medical attention.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?