Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: NickieA71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was recently diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. I don't have any of the risk factors and they don't know what caused it. I suffer from chronic resistant migraines, though the doctors don't think this has anything to do with the PE. I was prescribed Lovenox in the hospital and will continue taking it for six months as I may become pregnant because I am not on birth control. Lovenox is apparently okay during pregnancy, warfarin is not.

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My lower right calf muscle felt sore. After about two weeks I began having bad pain in my chest especially when I coughed. This kept getting worse and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to my doctor. I was not able to get a good breath and thought I would smother and also had intense pain in the left shoulder. My left arm didn't have any strength. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I have been on warfarin since December 2nd. I am getting a blood test next month and I might not have to take it any longer.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I was 12 years old I got a D.V.T in my left groin area the cause was unknown to the doctors and they did so many tests it was very scary. The only conclusion they could come to was a long car ride I had taken a week before. Now when you have a D.V.T too you are supposed to be in bed no walking well they allowed me to and it moved to my lungs I had to take Coumadin for 6 months and give myself shots in the stomach for a week.

Comment from: happymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

At the age of 27 I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. A few hours after giving birth I started to have a really bad headache, I mentioned it to the nurse and she said it was from the epidural I had received so I let it go. 2 days later I couldn't even open my left eye from the pain being so bad. I decided to go to the emergency room where the doctor said it was just because I wasn't getting enough sleep. 10 days later the left side of my head was still hurting, now along with the left side of my neck. My husband noticed I was now crying, vomiting and in severe pain, he decided to call 911. When I arrived to the emergency room they ran some MRI's and CT scan, finally I had an answer, I had a cerebral blood clot along with a blood clot in my jugular. I was given heparin, lovenox and Coumadin in that order. I'm very thankful to be alive even though I do have some permanent damage.

Comment from: Talavera1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had just given birth to my baby girl in 1998. In April of 1999, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C. In December of 1999, I had a full-blown ischemic stroke due to a venous clot, and I was only 31. I was extremely blessed in that I fully recovered with great medical care and was put on Plavix. In March of this year, I turned 40 and my daughter is 10. Please: Never, ever think you're totally immune to what typically is considered "elderly" medical problems. Blood clots are no laughing matter at any age!

Comment from: Barbb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been having pain in the calf area five weeks after hip surgery. I am on blood thinners for the clots.

Comment from: fruit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have just had my second blood clot in the last 3 years. I was on Wafrarin for a year. I was told that the blood clot stated from my leg and went to my lung. I'm a very activity person; I have no history in the family of clots. I do have high blood pressure. When I was in the hospital it was excellent. When I came out it went from 120/80 to 130/80. I just started taking a cholesterol-lowering drug (simvastatin 40mg). I watch my diet and stay away from most fried foods.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?