Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: John N, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

In early August, I had a pain in my lower left chest. It got very severe and I went to the hospital. It was found that pulmonary embolism was the issue. They inserted a Vena filter in my groin and sent me home after 4 days in hospital. Three days later all of a sudden I could not stand and I had severe pain in both legs. I was back at the hospital for more treatment. I am also an IPT (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) patient (low platelets) and they had to treat me with drugs to get the platelet count up and put me on blood thinners. After 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 weeks in rehabilitation hospital I am now now home. I am 8 weeks into this and can only walk 150 feet before my legs give out. They tell me blood thinners and exercise are the path to building alternate blood flow. I suspect the Vena filter is clogged with clots and restricting blood flow.

Comment from: Voictoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I recently had a colonoscopy and the nurse put my IV in and then had the procedure. All went well; until about two weeks later a large vein popped up on my forearm and wrist. It was sore, slightly swollen and warm to the touch. I knew I had not bumped my arm or anything. I watched it for several days and it got worse and more painful. I decided to go and have it checked out pronto. The hospital did a sonogram and confirmed that it was a blood clot. However it was not a DVT it was in a vein not an artery. I am still not sure exactly what caused it. I'm fairly sure it was from the IV. However it really scared me because right after I gave birth to my daughter in 1964 I developed a huge DVT in the left side of my groin. I was "to say the least" very close to death. I was not able to walk, stand or take care of my baby at all. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital flat on my back under a warming tent and taking blood thinners hoping to save my life. The doctor told me he was not sure they would be able to dissolve the clot before it broke loose and went somewhere it shouldn't go. I am still here and now I am much more careful about not injuring myself and I don't ignore my body when it is trying to tell me something is wrong.

Comment from: Besearch, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I went to bed healthy but when I stood up the next a.m. I nearly passed out. I felt weak and then nauseous. I threw up and the nausea left but I developed a terrible pain in my right lung. I could not take a deep breath. I thought my back was out. I took ibuprofen and Tylenol every 2 hours. I could not lie down because of the pressure and pain. Developed a temperature. Went to the emergency room. Was hospitalized for pneumonia for 4 days. Got worse. They did a CT scan and found a pulmonary embolism in the right lung. I had Lovenox injections until the warfarin kicked in. I will take warfarin for 6 months. I have more tests for blood clotting problems and if positive, I will take it the rest of my life.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 06

It started with just a strain in my neck which proceeded to a horrible pain in my right neck to the point of immobilization. Then I had difficulty in breathing that proceeded in me not being able to breath at all. After finally seeing the Dr. and receiving a CT scan, the results showed 3 blood clots in my right lung. I'm a rare case in that I was very gaseous - still to this day. No reason has been given to this - though it only began when the blood clots had formed. I'm still not cured and am still taking Coumadin. It was a horrible experience that I NEVER want to go through again. I spent a week, my Birthday, in the Hospital.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. I blame my 60 pound weight gain on the medication and the exhaustion that looking back now caused me to stay in bed. The top cause for blood clots is weight, but still I never thought it could happen to me. I have been trying to keep moving, even water exercises almost daily. One day I went to a doctor's appointment and decided I would walk in the mall. I noticed after a short time that I was sweating so severely, my hair was soaking wet and the sweat was pouring. I tried to ignore the throbbing chest pain as I was told it has been proven that a person can suffer from chest muscle wall pain of Fibromyalgia. The more I attempted to walk, I just knew something was going on. I made it home and the symptoms didn't go away~~In fact, I started having stomach cramps followed by diarrhea. A little voice inside me told me I should go to the hospital. My EKG was normal and the nurse talked like I would be going home. Thank God one of the ER doctors decided to do a lung CAT scan. The nurse came in and said "you are not going anywhere". I spent 4 days in ICU because they found an embolism in both lungs. I was put on Coumadin and oxygen 24/7. (I use a C-Pap machine for sleep apnea). It has been 7 days and the home health nurses keep telling me that my PT shows my blood two thin. I have learned a lot from reading all of the comments. I thank all of you who took the time to help us "newcomers" understand. Obviously I am on a strict diet and I am committed to losing the weight. I have discontinued the Lyrica for Fibromyalgia and Amitriptyline for anxiety.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?