Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: ducksoup, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was able to walk up to five miles and no problem. But then I noticed I could not breathe very well after any activity. I slept a lot. I also had knee surgery after falling 15 feet. I urged my husband to take me to hospital in the morning after I could not breathe very well. The doctors said I had anxiety. Ativan didn't help. An X-ray revealed pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. I was hospitalized and put on other medications. These caused seizures. I was released to a Coumadin clinic. I'm now on 81 mg of aspirin per day. I worry every day that I'll have another PE. Any support would help me.

Comment from: shartmac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with a blood clot earlier this year in late March, right before my 37th birthday. I went to a walk in clinic with a swollen right arm, and once the physician on duty saw the sight of my arm she sent me to the ER immediately. The next couple of days involved sitting in the ER, waiting for test after test to be done, having my blood drawn, etc... Now, six months later, the clot is gone but the oncologist who treated me at the hospital seems to think that I need to stay on the warfarin I've been taking up until now and refer me to another specialist. I am so frustrated. If it's gone, then why do I need to stay on this path? There was no clear reason or cause as to why I developed the clot in the first place. I wish I had more answers and that someone out there could explain this to me. The oncologist kept saying something about a reoccurrence and other such things.

Comment from: Nzinga, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

my brother was involved in a motorcycle accident. He broke his pelvis both sockets replaced thigh bone leg ankle foot. Titanium plates and rods put in the broken parts mentioned. By not being mobile a blood clot developed in his upper rt thigh. This leg was in a cast, and as the blood clot became obvious the leg in the cast became tight. The cast had to be replaced with a loser one. he has been on blood thinners. But becoming able to move is crucial, but this clot situation has to be resolved.

Comment from: troutfisher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have been on Coumadin (warfarin) and was getting ready for a defibrillator, A.V. node ablation. I had a small stroke last Thurs. night and was rushed to hospital. After finding my protime no. to be right they further experimented and found I have Lupus anticoagulin disorder. Now on Lovenox shots. I understand I do not go in for pro time analysis. I read info on Lovenox and says don't mix with aspirin but they have me on low dose aspirin also?

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I fell on the stairs of my home. I didn't really hit or bruise my arm, just extended it to prevent my fall. The next day my arm was sore. I thought I pulled a muscle. The next day the soreness was worse. On the 3rd day I could hardly move my arm. On the 4th day I could not comb my hair, it was very painful and swelling. It had redness and was hot to the touch. Finally, I went to the doctor. I had a sonogram and it determined I had a clot. The doctor wanted me in the hospital, but my husband could not be left alone. I gave my self shots of Loveonox prescribed by doctor at home. I later had a clot in other arm and behind my left knee. The Lovenox worked and I am still taking a pill and a half a day of Coumadin. Blood work weekly to keep check on thickness of my blood. Hopefully can get answers why I had the clots. Have not been sick or to a doctor in 3 or 4 years.

Comment from: NickieA71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was recently diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. I don't have any of the risk factors and they don't know what caused it. I suffer from chronic resistant migraines, though the doctors don't think this has anything to do with the PE. I was prescribed Lovenox in the hospital and will continue taking it for six months as I may become pregnant because I am not on birth control. Lovenox is apparently okay during pregnancy, warfarin is not.

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My lower right calf muscle felt sore. After about two weeks I began having bad pain in my chest especially when I coughed. This kept getting worse and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to my doctor. I was not able to get a good breath and thought I would smother and also had intense pain in the left shoulder. My left arm didn't have any strength. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I have been on warfarin since December 2nd. I am getting a blood test next month and I might not have to take it any longer.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?