Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: Besearch, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I went to bed healthy but when I stood up the next a.m. I nearly passed out. I felt weak and then nauseous. I threw up and the nausea left but I developed a terrible pain in my right lung. I could not take a deep breath. I thought my back was out. I took ibuprofen and Tylenol every 2 hours. I could not lie down because of the pressure and pain. Developed a temperature. Went to the emergency room. Was hospitalized for pneumonia for 4 days. Got worse. They did a CT scan and found a pulmonary embolism in the right lung. I had Lovenox injections until the warfarin kicked in. I will take warfarin for 6 months. I have more tests for blood clotting problems and if positive, I will take it the rest of my life.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 06

It started with just a strain in my neck which proceeded to a horrible pain in my right neck to the point of immobilization. Then I had difficulty in breathing that proceeded in me not being able to breath at all. After finally seeing the Dr. and receiving a CT scan, the results showed 3 blood clots in my right lung. I'm a rare case in that I was very gaseous - still to this day. No reason has been given to this - though it only began when the blood clots had formed. I'm still not cured and am still taking Coumadin. It was a horrible experience that I NEVER want to go through again. I spent a week, my Birthday, in the Hospital.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago. I blame my 60 pound weight gain on the medication and the exhaustion that looking back now caused me to stay in bed. The top cause for blood clots is weight, but still I never thought it could happen to me. I have been trying to keep moving, even water exercises almost daily. One day I went to a doctor's appointment and decided I would walk in the mall. I noticed after a short time that I was sweating so severely, my hair was soaking wet and the sweat was pouring. I tried to ignore the throbbing chest pain as I was told it has been proven that a person can suffer from chest muscle wall pain of Fibromyalgia. The more I attempted to walk, I just knew something was going on. I made it home and the symptoms didn't go away~~In fact, I started having stomach cramps followed by diarrhea. A little voice inside me told me I should go to the hospital. My EKG was normal and the nurse talked like I would be going home. Thank God one of the ER doctors decided to do a lung CAT scan. The nurse came in and said "you are not going anywhere". I spent 4 days in ICU because they found an embolism in both lungs. I was put on Coumadin and oxygen 24/7. (I use a C-Pap machine for sleep apnea). It has been 7 days and the home health nurses keep telling me that my PT shows my blood two thin. I have learned a lot from reading all of the comments. I thank all of you who took the time to help us "newcomers" understand. Obviously I am on a strict diet and I am committed to losing the weight. I have discontinued the Lyrica for Fibromyalgia and Amitriptyline for anxiety.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My husband,42, went to the er for a small toe infection (we think a spider bit him) and it turned out to be serious because of his uncontrolled diabetes. He had to have surgery on the toe to remove the infection and was in the hospital for 6 days because of diabetes complications. He was put on insulin for the first time. (I wish we went on insulin sooner) Anyhow, while he was in the hospital, he didn't get up to walk at all. He was just laying in the hospital bed with his foot up. When he went home, he kept his foot up also. I think this is why he got the blood clot. A few days later the nurse came to change his bandages and noticed one foot was colder than the other and she said it might be a blood clot. (also he was using crutches and had to keep his left leg bent in order to get around.) We went to the er and sure enough they admitted him and said he had a blood clot on his lower leg. They kept him in the hospital for about 3 days this time. The hospital was wonderful and this time he will definitely watch his diet. He went home and is now on insulin, Lovenox shots 2x daily and also Warfarin 1 1/2 a day. His INR keeps changing slightly because he ran out of Lovenox shots at one point. At one point he was off Lovenox but just recently had to take them again. Anyhow, we have a great doctors office that is monitoring it so I hope all goes well. Also he was drinking lots of Green Tea which I think is High in Vitamin K. So I think I missed this when I was reading the things not to eat. I read everything but didn't catch the Green tea till my nurse sent me another book. so no green tea if you're on warfarin. Thanks MedicineNet.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Hi I have had heart attacks strokes from blood clots. The doctors couldn't figure out why i was having heart attacks at my age my arteries were clear. They did a test and found I had Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (APS). This syndrome causes your blood to clot in woman it causes mischarges. I was put on warfarin and have to stay on it for the rest of my life. I recently was bleeding out in to my lungs and the cavity around the heart they took me of blood thinners and i threw a clot destroying left arm making it useless. I have had a nightmare and continued one as im sure all of u have. If you feel something is wrong and if u think your doctor isn't listening then see another this has saved my life and my family and friends.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?