Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: Babygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have high blood pressure and anemia and lymphedema and veins on the back of my leg. I think that is why my noses bleed sometimes.

Comment from: Befield, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My first symptom of blood clot was a slight shortness of breath which did not last long. In the next two days, I observed a swelling in my right leg. I went to the doctor, took imaging tests on the spot, and was sent directly to the emergency hospital.

Comment from: qamar s., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I am suffering with diabetes and illness with fibroid symptoms in uterus. I am 39 years old and having very severe leg pain.

Comment from: rod, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I was watching a ball game on TV in my shorts, when I noticed my left calf and ankle was a bit larger than my right. There was no pain at all, and I looked at it again to be certain. I called my friend who is a primary care provider. He told me it could be a blood clot and said to go to urgent care. After ultra sound it was. After 4 months I take medicines and continue to be treated. I never had pain and lucky to be observant or I might have died if my clot would have spread.

Comment from: Echodelta, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 25

About two years ago I had a total knee transplant; everything went fine for about two months and then I contracted a urinary tract infection and spent five days in the hospital. About two weeks after release I had a pulmonary embolism (PE). My concern is that I am going to need the other knee replaced and I am more likely to have another PE.

Comment from: twinzmommi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I played softball all weekend, at the age of 38. My neck was bothering me and I thought I had pulled a muscle. My neck started getting huge and I could not touch it or sleep, I was in horrible pain. My doctor said I had strep throat. Yeah, right. My daughter's ENT saw the huge knot in my neck at her appointment days later and asked what was wrong. I told him what my doctor said, he didn't agree and did a CT. I had a blood clot so big in my jugular vein it stretched from my jaw bone to my clavicle. I had 2 year old twins at the time and was rushed to the hospital. I was on warfarin for months and then taken off. My right arm was turning blue/purple and getting very cold. The hematologist said I had Raynaud's syndrome. It turned out I had over 9 clots throughout my entire right side. I ended up having thoracic outlet, Paget-Schroetter disease. I am on blood thinners for the rest of my life, I continue to get blood clots even with the medication. Someday I don't know if I will wake up.

Comment from: lyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I woke up with a leg cramp at 2 am in the morning, it sort of went away but I had a constant tightness in the calf and it was still sore for about 8 days after. I went for a 4 hour drive to my dad's then another half hour to my girlfriends place, stayed the night there, woke up in the morning to find I could not walk, could not put pressure on my foot, could not move my leg or foot without being in extreme pain, instead of it being a 10 it was like a 14, unbelievable. It settled after a couple of hours and I was able to walk on it again but only just with support. I drove back home and found when I could not get out of the car and walk I needed to go to the hospital. My leg was cold, it was swollen, and very painful. Nothing like they say being hot. Anyway I was diagnosed with a 10 cm deep vein thrombosis in my calf. Lucky they say to be still here and since then I've been having five needles daily to stop any other blood clot forming, and this one going into my lungs, now on warfarin for about 9 months. I have support stocking on my leg from tip of toe to up over my thigh. I cannot work on it as yet, it feels like my leg is dying from my toe up, it is such a sickening feeling and not sure what to do about it.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?