Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: cuchjoe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 12

On the second night after starting on alprazolam I woke up with a small blood clot on tongue.

Comment from: Babygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have high blood pressure and anemia and lymphedema and veins on the back of my leg. I think that is why my noses bleed sometimes.

Comment from: Befield, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My first symptom of blood clot was a slight shortness of breath which did not last long. In the next two days, I observed a swelling in my right leg. I went to the doctor, took imaging tests on the spot, and was sent directly to the emergency hospital.

Comment from: oldswordfighter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Several health issues limit my activity which was the probable actual cause for my blood clots. A backflip into a post when a deck failed made me assume that the pain in my legs and feet swelling was just another back injury. But after six weeks I was watching TV when a huge pain in my chest took over. I called a neighbor who called 911. Four surgical procedures later I was released and recovered much faster than the doctors expected. Obviously it nearly killed me.

Comment from: Eddie B, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I had been tired for several weeks thinking it was connected to my sleep apnea which I had been struggling with. Post knee replacement in February 2014, I worked hard at recovery. In May I continued to struggle with insomnia and my CPAP machine, but on July 25 my chest was tight and it was an effort to breathe. At the emergency room (ER) I was given EKG, blood work-up, chest x-ray and a CT. A pulmonary embolism in each lung was found. I was started on Lovenox that day and spent the night, being released the next day with a 60 day supply of Lovenox. My doctor feels the blood clot is not related to knee surgery due to the length of time since surgery. He feels that a clot can be caused by a cancer and will coordinate tests to rule this out. I have many questions yet unanswered. My feeling is it could be related to my inactivity from knee problems and sleep issues.

Comment from: rod, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I was watching a ball game on TV in my shorts, when I noticed my left calf and ankle was a bit larger than my right. There was no pain at all, and I looked at it again to be certain. I called my friend who is a primary care provider. He told me it could be a blood clot and said to go to urgent care. After ultra sound it was. After 4 months I take medicines and continue to be treated. I never had pain and lucky to be observant or I might have died if my clot would have spread.

Comment from: Echodelta, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 25

About two years ago I had a total knee transplant; everything went fine for about two months and then I contracted a urinary tract infection and spent five days in the hospital. About two weeks after release I had a pulmonary embolism (PE). My concern is that I am going to need the other knee replaced and I am more likely to have another PE.

Comment from: twinzmommi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I played softball all weekend, at the age of 38. My neck was bothering me and I thought I had pulled a muscle. My neck started getting huge and I could not touch it or sleep, I was in horrible pain. My doctor said I had strep throat. Yeah, right. My daughter's ENT saw the huge knot in my neck at her appointment days later and asked what was wrong. I told him what my doctor said, he didn't agree and did a CT. I had a blood clot so big in my jugular vein it stretched from my jaw bone to my clavicle. I had 2 year old twins at the time and was rushed to the hospital. I was on warfarin for months and then taken off. My right arm was turning blue/purple and getting very cold. The hematologist said I had Raynaud's syndrome. It turned out I had over 9 clots throughout my entire right side. I ended up having thoracic outlet, Paget-Schroetter disease. I am on blood thinners for the rest of my life, I continue to get blood clots even with the medication. Someday I don't know if I will wake up.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?