Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: Astounded, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was feeling worn down and headed to bed early. I woke up the next morning with pain in my right lower back. Having been super busy the day before I just thought I had tweaked my back a bit. I tried yoga stretches, a hot bath and finally had my husband try to crack my back. I was so in pain. Breathing became more difficult as they day went along. Then I vomited and decided it was time to head to the emergency room. I was diagnosed with a possible pulmonary embolism. Diagnosis could not be done the typical way as I am a living donor and with only one kidney the dye would have been very detrimental. I had to wait until the correct personnel came in to check the old way with imaging. I could barely breathe deep enough to suck in the radioactive mixture before the testing, all the while the technician is telling me how bad it would be if I lost control and contaminated the room. What a painful test when you are gasping for breath. Four days in ICU with many tests only to not find what caused it. I had several teeth pulled ten days before the attack but no one believes you can get blood clots that way. Never having had issues in the past with injuries or long and frequent flights I do believe there was some connection. I ended with 2 mg Warfarin for six months and worry for the rest of one`s life.

Comment from: John N, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

In early August, I had a pain in my lower left chest. It got very severe and I went to the hospital. It was found that pulmonary embolism was the issue. They inserted a Vena filter in my groin and sent me home after 4 days in hospital. Three days later all of a sudden I could not stand and I had severe pain in both legs. I was back at the hospital for more treatment. I am also an IPT (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) patient (low platelets) and they had to treat me with drugs to get the platelet count up and put me on blood thinners. After 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 weeks in rehabilitation hospital I am now now home. I am 8 weeks into this and can only walk 150 feet before my legs give out. They tell me blood thinners and exercise are the path to building alternate blood flow. I suspect the Vena filter is clogged with clots and restricting blood flow.

Comment from: Voictoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I recently had a colonoscopy and the nurse put my IV in and then had the procedure. All went well; until about two weeks later a large vein popped up on my forearm and wrist. It was sore, slightly swollen and warm to the touch. I knew I had not bumped my arm or anything. I watched it for several days and it got worse and more painful. I decided to go and have it checked out pronto. The hospital did a sonogram and confirmed that it was a blood clot. However it was not a DVT it was in a vein not an artery. I am still not sure exactly what caused it. I'm fairly sure it was from the IV. However it really scared me because right after I gave birth to my daughter in 1964 I developed a huge DVT in the left side of my groin. I was "to say the least" very close to death. I was not able to walk, stand or take care of my baby at all. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital flat on my back under a warming tent and taking blood thinners hoping to save my life. The doctor told me he was not sure they would be able to dissolve the clot before it broke loose and went somewhere it shouldn't go. I am still here and now I am much more careful about not injuring myself and I don't ignore my body when it is trying to tell me something is wrong.

Comment from: Besearch, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I went to bed healthy but when I stood up the next a.m. I nearly passed out. I felt weak and then nauseous. I threw up and the nausea left but I developed a terrible pain in my right lung. I could not take a deep breath. I thought my back was out. I took ibuprofen and Tylenol every 2 hours. I could not lie down because of the pressure and pain. Developed a temperature. Went to the emergency room. Was hospitalized for pneumonia for 4 days. Got worse. They did a CT scan and found a pulmonary embolism in the right lung. I had Lovenox injections until the warfarin kicked in. I will take warfarin for 6 months. I have more tests for blood clotting problems and if positive, I will take it the rest of my life.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 06

It started with just a strain in my neck which proceeded to a horrible pain in my right neck to the point of immobilization. Then I had difficulty in breathing that proceeded in me not being able to breath at all. After finally seeing the Dr. and receiving a CT scan, the results showed 3 blood clots in my right lung. I'm a rare case in that I was very gaseous - still to this day. No reason has been given to this - though it only began when the blood clots had formed. I'm still not cured and am still taking Coumadin. It was a horrible experience that I NEVER want to go through again. I spent a week, my Birthday, in the Hospital.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?