Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: mlc1123, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a second rotator cuff full-thickness tear repair in Feb 2014, having had the first shoulder done in January 2012. Nine days later I awakened to extreme shortness of breath and chest pain. Blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray and finally CT scan diagnosed multiple pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I was hospitalized for 5 days with heparin drip and released on 15 mg Xarelto twice daily for 21 days, then 20 mg daily for one year. So far I am doing okay, but have been advised against air travel and any further surgery without pre-medication. I cannot understand what it is about limited activity after surgery that makes for a higher risk factor than other limited activity. What about people permanently impaired, in bed or wheelchairs, are they at risk also? And why is your risk factor higher for the rest of your life? Also curious about why this didn"t happen with the same surgery two years ago. My secondary diagnosis is pulmonary hypertension, but that will be investigated further after I am fully recovered from the clots.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was 54 and returning from a two day road trip. A few days later I began to deal with pain in left leg and hip. I had a weird rash from head to toe and was soon hospitalized with a massive clot from my left knee to my kidney. I underwent two operations with three permanent stents. I was diagnosed with May-Thurner syndrome and am on Coumadin and several other medications for life. This was this past August. Life has really changed it seems every day brings new disappointment and bad news! Just trying to keep up now.

Comment from: Astounded, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was feeling worn down and headed to bed early. I woke up the next morning with pain in my right lower back. Having been super busy the day before I just thought I had tweaked my back a bit. I tried yoga stretches, a hot bath and finally had my husband try to crack my back. I was so in pain. Breathing became more difficult as they day went along. Then I vomited and decided it was time to head to the emergency room. I was diagnosed with a possible pulmonary embolism. Diagnosis could not be done the typical way as I am a living donor and with only one kidney the dye would have been very detrimental. I had to wait until the correct personnel came in to check the old way with imaging. I could barely breathe deep enough to suck in the radioactive mixture before the testing, all the while the technician is telling me how bad it would be if I lost control and contaminated the room. What a painful test when you are gasping for breath. Four days in ICU with many tests only to not find what caused it. I had several teeth pulled ten days before the attack but no one believes you can get blood clots that way. Never having had issues in the past with injuries or long and frequent flights I do believe there was some connection. I ended with 2 mg Warfarin for six months and worry for the rest of one`s life.

Comment from: John N, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

In early August, I had a pain in my lower left chest. It got very severe and I went to the hospital. It was found that pulmonary embolism was the issue. They inserted a Vena filter in my groin and sent me home after 4 days in hospital. Three days later all of a sudden I could not stand and I had severe pain in both legs. I was back at the hospital for more treatment. I am also an IPT (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) patient (low platelets) and they had to treat me with drugs to get the platelet count up and put me on blood thinners. After 2 weeks in the hospital and 2 weeks in rehabilitation hospital I am now now home. I am 8 weeks into this and can only walk 150 feet before my legs give out. They tell me blood thinners and exercise are the path to building alternate blood flow. I suspect the Vena filter is clogged with clots and restricting blood flow.

Comment from: Voictoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I recently had a colonoscopy and the nurse put my IV in and then had the procedure. All went well; until about two weeks later a large vein popped up on my forearm and wrist. It was sore, slightly swollen and warm to the touch. I knew I had not bumped my arm or anything. I watched it for several days and it got worse and more painful. I decided to go and have it checked out pronto. The hospital did a sonogram and confirmed that it was a blood clot. However it was not a DVT it was in a vein not an artery. I am still not sure exactly what caused it. I'm fairly sure it was from the IV. However it really scared me because right after I gave birth to my daughter in 1964 I developed a huge DVT in the left side of my groin. I was "to say the least" very close to death. I was not able to walk, stand or take care of my baby at all. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital flat on my back under a warming tent and taking blood thinners hoping to save my life. The doctor told me he was not sure they would be able to dissolve the clot before it broke loose and went somewhere it shouldn't go. I am still here and now I am much more careful about not injuring myself and I don't ignore my body when it is trying to tell me something is wrong.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?