Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?

Comment from: msjdy3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Looking back I realize my first symptom of blood clot was getting dizzy every time I stood up. This went on for a while, and I thought it was due to the heat of summer. Next, for no apparent reason both of my arms would go dead, heavy and hard to move like they had gone to sleep. Then I lost control of my little finger and the one next to it on my left hand. They would be spread out and I could not move them together. This I took notice, but did nothing. Then one night the top of my foot felt like it was tight and kind of swollen. I felt some pain but had not hurt my foot so I did not know why it was hurting or felt tight. Next I was sleeping and tried to wake up to tell my son something before he left for work, but I thought I could not wake up. Then actually I was having a small stroke and could not move or speak. My son asked me if I was alright and I thought I was answering him, but I was not. He called the ambulance. After they told me I had a blood clot and that it had moved causing the stroke, I realized there had been a string of events that led up to it. Only in hindsight did I put them together.

Comment from: Patricia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I didn't have any warning signs that a clot was developing. I was out salsa dancing the night before I developed any symptoms! Pain in my calf woke me the following morning and I found that the calf was swollen (3 cm bigger than the other) so I went to the emergency room where I was diagnosed pretty much straight away. I was in great health before this; not overweight, never smoked, active, and now I feel far more vulnerable.

Comment from: Aliveat75, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I have muscle invasive bladder cancer. After 9 chemotherapy treatments I developed deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in lower left leg. Symptoms were pain in lower left leg, fever (101.3), heart failure due to atrial fibrillation, and infection. Doctor is working to control atrial fibrillation so surgical removal of bladder and prostate can proceed. Blood thinners (self-administered shots) and antibiotics are prescribed as treatment. Prognosis is 6 months for clot to be absorbed by body. Blood clot is probably due to lack of exercise due to tiredness caused by chemotherapy.

Comment from: Jason B, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Around November 2013, I began having chest pain and difficulty breathing every time I went out into the cold air. I"m in my mid 30s and don"t get the opportunity to exercise like I"d like so I passed it off as being out of shape. In early January, I woke up feeling like I had a severe cramp below my right calf. I tried massaging but it was very painful. I rested that day and then put in two full days of work before finally giving in and going to my doctor. I thought I had just torn or strained a muscle somehow. By then my right leg was burning. Luckily my doctor knew what he was doing and immediately scheduled me for an ultra sound at the local hospital. Before the ultra-sound was over, I was informed that I was not going home that day. I had several clots from my right knee to my ankle. A CT was also conducted and I had several clots in both lungs. Eight days later I got to go home. So far the cause is unknown. I hadn"t taken any long trips, suffered any injuries, or been immobile at work/home for long periods of time. There is also no family history of clots. I"ve had every kind of test imaginable with no luck as to finding the cause. I can"t sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time which also means I"m not sleeping very much. I still have leg pain and difficulty breathing. My oxygen levels vary between 94 and 98 and taking a full breath is not possible without the pain. It is 1 1/2 months after first diagnosis and I still can"t get my INRs to level out. I"m taking between 7.5mg and 12.5mg of warfarin every day.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with a blood clot started with a small pinch type of pain in my left calf when I walked, but no pain at all from cycling so I continued to ride for a couple of days then found myself unable to have my leg below waist level for more than 5 minutes (intense pain and swelling). I waited 2 days to go to the emergency room and am on Xarelto twice daily now.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?