Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?

Comment from: Jason B, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Around November 2013, I began having chest pain and difficulty breathing every time I went out into the cold air. I"m in my mid 30s and don"t get the opportunity to exercise like I"d like so I passed it off as being out of shape. In early January, I woke up feeling like I had a severe cramp below my right calf. I tried massaging but it was very painful. I rested that day and then put in two full days of work before finally giving in and going to my doctor. I thought I had just torn or strained a muscle somehow. By then my right leg was burning. Luckily my doctor knew what he was doing and immediately scheduled me for an ultra sound at the local hospital. Before the ultra-sound was over, I was informed that I was not going home that day. I had several clots from my right knee to my ankle. A CT was also conducted and I had several clots in both lungs. Eight days later I got to go home. So far the cause is unknown. I hadn"t taken any long trips, suffered any injuries, or been immobile at work/home for long periods of time. There is also no family history of clots. I"ve had every kind of test imaginable with no luck as to finding the cause. I can"t sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time which also means I"m not sleeping very much. I still have leg pain and difficulty breathing. My oxygen levels vary between 94 and 98 and taking a full breath is not possible without the pain. It is 1 1/2 months after first diagnosis and I still can"t get my INRs to level out. I"m taking between 7.5mg and 12.5mg of warfarin every day.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with a blood clot started with a small pinch type of pain in my left calf when I walked, but no pain at all from cycling so I continued to ride for a couple of days then found myself unable to have my leg below waist level for more than 5 minutes (intense pain and swelling). I waited 2 days to go to the emergency room and am on Xarelto twice daily now.

Comment from: coneyisland813, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I have had a blood clot in my leg. It made my foot hurt very bad i could not walk on it for 3 days i went to the hospital just as the clot was on the move. I still have a lot of clots, a filter in my chest stents balloons you name it. The clots won't go away.

Comment from: Amy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was just hospitalized for PE (pulmonary embolism), or in plain terms, blood clots in my lungs. I had a couple of episodes where I felt like I was going to pass out and my family told me my lips were blue. I also have a nagging pain in my back. I found out that this is a blood clot. A couple of nights after working all day I noticed that my feet and lower legs were swollen. I don't remember any pain, but my doctor told me it's only because I ignored the pain knowing I had to go to work. I was told that this was due to clots in my legs that moved up to my lungs. I'm lucky to be alive, and I am thankful for my family. If I wouldn't have listened to them, I would probably be dead right now. If you ever have episodes of shortness of breath along with passing out -- especially if your lips are turning blue – you're not getting oxygen! It's nothing to mess around with. You can die!

Comment from: Maria Rosa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

It started with cancer and I had the med for the chemo on my left side. I used it only once because it clogged and had to be taken out. Then the pain in my left side of the neck and left arm started. Tests were done and in the neck I have deep vein thrombosis and the one in my left arm is so painful. I'm on Coumadin and a special diet.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?