Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: Megster1688, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I began suffering from bouts of dizziness in my late 40s. It took me several months to figure out that it was actually vertigo. The doctor prescribed me medication that helped with the vertigo, but left me feeling groggy. A friend of mine told me about DiVertigo, and thankfully it worked for me. It is just a bit of oil you dab behind your ear. I am not sure how it works but it helped me. I hope it can help others here too!

Comment from: Nev8, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I underwent surgery for removal of fibroids (myomectomy) and developed blood clots in both lungs. The surgery lasted for 4 hours so I guess this was largely responsible for the formation of the blood clots. I led a very active life prior the surgery and was very much involved in physical fitness. You can well imagine how surprised I was when one day after the surgery I was unable to walk from my bed to a chair in the room without being on the verge of blacking out. My second attempt at walking the next day was just as disastrous. I was put Lovenox injections, which I hated. My abdomen developed significant bruising. I was subsequently placed on Xarelto pills and I am still taking them. I am now 2 weeks into taking the Xarelto and have not experienced any side effects.

Comment from: dhun, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Two weeks after D and C, I found some blood clots/tissues.

Comment from: bsport, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had an IV, was fine. Nurse put 10 minutes to IV. In about 30 seconds I told her it hurt and burned, she told me don't worry, it will go away. She was behind and had a lot of work to do. I had said that medicine had to be put in very slow because that's what they told me in the emergency room (ER). Hours later I could no longer take the pain and burning, so I rang and another nurse came in and said something was wrong and removed the IV and changed arms. Then it was fine. Ultrasound shows at the IV site on the vein there was clot. I wonder if this is something that happens often.

Comment from: An3a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am 27 years old and I broke my foot, wearing a moon boot for about 2 weeks when I got something that I thought was a muscle cramp in my calf. After severe swelling and veins popping out, I was admitted to the emergency room (ER) where they told me I have a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). It's 3 months later and I am still on anti-coagulants (warfarin), struggling to stabilize.

Comment from: brendie042, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

In November I flew from Florida to Missouri to stay with my son and family. Nine days later I noticed swelling and pain in my left foot. The first time I went to the emergency room (ER) I had a high D-dimer, but because they did not see a clot, they sent me home on Lasix for swelling. I took the Lasix, but the swelling and pain in my left leg got worse, so I went back to the ER. This time they found a blood clot that involved almost my entire leg! The femoral vein, patellar vein, and posterior tibia vein were all blocked. I was on Lovenox and Coumadin in Hospital. I am just on the Coumadin now. The swelling and pain are gone, but they won't look to see how the clot is doing until June, so I have to continue Coumadin for now. It has taken a lot a adjusting to get and keep my Coumadin at the right level.

Comment from: Tudbuga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was surfing and I caught a big wave on the head and I was pushed too fast down 5 meters. I had no time to equalize! I came up with no equilibrium and my eardrum was perforated.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?