Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: dhun, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

Two weeks after D and C, I found some blood clots/tissues.

Comment from: bsport, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had an IV, was fine. Nurse put 10 minutes to IV. In about 30 seconds I told her it hurt and burned, she told me don't worry, it will go away. She was behind and had a lot of work to do. I had said that medicine had to be put in very slow because that's what they told me in the emergency room (ER). Hours later I could no longer take the pain and burning, so I rang and another nurse came in and said something was wrong and removed the IV and changed arms. Then it was fine. Ultrasound shows at the IV site on the vein there was clot. I wonder if this is something that happens often.

Comment from: An3a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am 27 years old and I broke my foot, wearing a moon boot for about 2 weeks when I got something that I thought was a muscle cramp in my calf. After severe swelling and veins popping out, I was admitted to the emergency room (ER) where they told me I have a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). It's 3 months later and I am still on anti-coagulants (warfarin), struggling to stabilize.

Comment from: DS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I'm 47 and female. My symptoms occurred very suddenly. I got up around 3 a.m. and I felt like I had a severe groin pull. The worst pain I've ever felt. Then when I looked at my left leg it was twice the size of the other one (literally 21lbs). I could barely dress to go to an urgent care facility. They gave me an ultrasound and said I had a clot in the femoral vein that extended from my bikini line down to my ankle. They took me by ambulance to the local hospital where I stayed for about a week. They had me on Lovenox and Coumadin. Two months later I am still taking 9 or 10 mg of Coumadin. They switch it up a lot. My hematologist says my clot is gone, but I still get pain and swelling after sitting for long periods. He said I probably have post-phlebitis. From what I've read, it's caused when the vein wall has been "insulted" or damaged. It seems that the symptoms are on-going. We believe my clot came from birth control pills I'd been taking short-term to shrink uterine fibroids. It worked on the fibroids, but caused the clot. Of course, they're in the trash. I don't think I was a good candidate for birth control pills at 47.

Comment from: betty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had back surgery and left the hospital 24 hours later. By bedtime I had pain in my left side and left leg. I could not stand up. I called an ambulance by 6:30 am the next morning. They had to carry me downstairs on a chair. I was in tremendous pain and didn't want anyone to touch me. I was taken to the hospital emergency and told I needed an MRI. They discovered a blood clot in the incision the doctor made during back surgery. I was operated on that same day to remove it. I was sent home in a couple of days but am still in a lot of pain in my left side, groin and leg. I had another MRI. The doctor said a piece of a disc in my back had broken off and was floating around; let's wait 3 weeks and see if the body will absorb it. I took pain pills for two weeks; suddenly the pain seemed to go away. That's where I am today, wondering if I should switch doctors and have another MRI.

Comment from: jonintrix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell at work, and went to their doctor. In my back I had pulled a muscle, anyway it was swollen, this was on September 16, 2015. After swelling went down my physical therapist had me doing stretches. Then I was released because I could do it. A day or so later, I couldn't sit on my bed, or in a chair, or drive without twisting on a hip. My work made a big deal out of me falling backwards on the floor, and I was put on light duty, sitting pulling files out of boxes, thick files. And people just didn't care, if I hurt. I was told over and over again, you can't do nothing about it. It hurts so bad, up to this day October, 24, 2015, just as bad as when I discovered the injury, does it ever go away, I wonder. It has made my life an agony. I'm beginning to think there is no recovery.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?