Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from:, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have been through the mill over the past three weeks! I ended up spending the night in the ER because of shortness of breath and chest pain. Everything came out fine including chest x-ray and ct scan. Their only finding was an elevated d-dimer which was 720. They weren't concerned and discharged me. After seeing several different doctors I was told by the pulmonologist that I have a sinus infection which caused bronchiospasm which caused the shortness of breath. In the mean time I saw the hematologist who took blood work yesterday and my d-dimer is now 940. I'm a nervous wreck wondering if I have a clot! I did have a clot in the ovarian vein last year. Someone please help as I'm at my wits end! Thanks!

Comment from: Smartie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had pain in legs after undergoing chemotherapy treatments. The oncologist said it was chemotherapy side effect. This went on for several months with stabbing pain in back and shoulder. The oncologist prescribed lyric but pain persisted. Finally I went to emergency room and had clots in my leg and lung. Glad I listened to myself instead of to the oncologist.

Comment from: RAV, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

In both cases of my returning blood clots, I experienced trouble breathing and pain in back and pain in the lower rib cage. I had shoulder surgery the first time, and knee surgery the second time. Knowing the symptoms, I asked my surgeon to consider warfarin treatment after my knee surgery. He gave me a prescription of Lovenox shots for 7 days with no warfarin. Needless to say, the Lovenox was not enough, and blood clots where shown on X-rays from other test being taken for a vein disorder. Blood clots were located in both lungs again, and I am being treated for clotting.

Comment from: pepper10, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My husband just had a 12" blood clot removed from his right arm. He had experienced numbness in his left hand and tingling. The pain hit him without warning. Had I not got him to the hospital when I did ,within 30 minutes after the pain began, he would be dead. He recently had a knee replaced, 10 days ago, and had been doing fine.

Comment from: mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I am a 64 year old male, blood clots are in my urine with no pain anywhere at all.

Comment from: sports lover, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My 17 year old son had his tonsils removed. The next week he was at school and during gym class he started throwing up blood clots. Took him to the doctor and the had to remove a blood clot that was stuck in his throat.

Comment from: alf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had my left shoulder replaced 9/22/09 and found out I had 2 blood clots. 1 on the outer side of my arm and the other one was by the surgical site. I had 2 take warfarin for 6 months and then got off of it.

Comment from: desmond, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My mum has just been diagnosed with a suspected blood clot in her brain. The doctor has explained that it is necessary to wait 48 hours to conduct the second CT scan to confirm any blood clots in her brain.

Comment from: Maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I fell and broke my wrist, had trouble with the cast. I had a frozen shoulder and a deep thumb wound also from the cast. Couldn't get around much and had to stop exercising for many months. I really don't know if those problems were the cause. Never had any problems in my legs. In 2011 I did have high cholesterol and I have trouble drinking enough water.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?