Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: sports lover, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My 17 year old son had his tonsils removed. The next week he was at school and during gym class he started throwing up blood clots. Took him to the doctor and the had to remove a blood clot that was stuck in his throat.

Comment from: alf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had my left shoulder replaced 9/22/09 and found out I had 2 blood clots. 1 on the outer side of my arm and the other one was by the surgical site. I had 2 take warfarin for 6 months and then got off of it.

Comment from: desmond, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My mum has just been diagnosed with a suspected blood clot in her brain. The doctor has explained that it is necessary to wait 48 hours to conduct the second CT scan to confirm any blood clots in her brain.

Comment from: Maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I fell and broke my wrist, had trouble with the cast. I had a frozen shoulder and a deep thumb wound also from the cast. Couldn't get around much and had to stop exercising for many months. I really don't know if those problems were the cause. Never had any problems in my legs. In 2011 I did have high cholesterol and I have trouble drinking enough water.

Comment from: Rachel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My blood clot happened from someone pushing me down and then attacking me on cement. My left leg ballooned up so big, and I stayed in the hospital for a few days, but as the swelling went down the pain got worse. From what I was told by doctors it started in my groin and went all the way down my leg. My knee is what really hurts, there is no relief it hurts all the time!

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a partial knee replacement surgery. Several days afterwards I had blood clots in the lower part of my leg. The X-rays were clear, and after a few days I have had pain in both leg calves.

Comment from: Carina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had sudden pain in my palm and left arm and after 5 minutes the pain increased. I could not move my fingers anymore and had to lie down because of it. I took four baby aspirin and four glasses of water. After an hour the pain ceased, but I still could not move my arm or my fingers, the muscle near the thumb was swollen and stiff. Later during the day the muscles showed a large area of redness and a hematoma. The veins in my palm had a large blood clot covering the veins of my fingers. I found out a large clot had also developed in my left armpit. I did not feel any dizziness or fatigue before this, except that the weather temperature here was hot and humid. Now I take 4 to 5 cloves of garlic to regulate my blood pressure and it has helped a lot.

Comment from: angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

My left leg just above my knee. I am the 4th generation all women all in early 40's all in same leg.

Comment from: Female Published: January 28

I had blood clots from my abdomen to my toes, both legs. I will be on Coumadin the rest of my life.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?