Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: Billgoav8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

Post operative knee surgery, pain and swelling symptoms in calf muscle. Had ultra sound and blood clot was below the knee joint, deep vein, from 9cm to 17 cm from the knee.

Comment from: ronaldm51@aol.com, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

Behind my right knee. There was nothing that the doctors could see. Only that it was a mass or a cyst after a year it got bigger. So I went to the medical center and they agreed to take the mass out, but when they opened the back of the knee up. It turned out to be a blood clot lucky me.

Comment from: Tracyalterio@aol.com, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have been through the mill over the past three weeks! I ended up spending the night in the ER because of shortness of breath and chest pain. Everything came out fine including chest x-ray and ct scan. Their only finding was an elevated d-dimer which was 720. They weren't concerned and discharged me. After seeing several different doctors I was told by the pulmonologist that I have a sinus infection which caused bronchiospasm which caused the shortness of breath. In the mean time I saw the hematologist who took blood work yesterday and my d-dimer is now 940. I'm a nervous wreck wondering if I have a clot! I did have a clot in the ovarian vein last year. Someone please help as I'm at my wits end! Thanks!

Comment from: angie, Female Published: April 21

I am 44 years old. I was working and got what I thought was a cramp in my left leg. I have a clot that goes from just above my knee to below my knee. I am the 4th generation of women in my family with a clot in my left leg same place and around the same age in early 40s. My grandmother has just past away from a clot that burst on heart killed her instantly. Her mother died when a clot went to her brain. My mother has had a clot but made a full recovery. Mine are worse so I don't feel hopeful for the future.

Comment from: Smartie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had pain in legs after undergoing chemotherapy treatments. The oncologist said it was chemotherapy side effect. This went on for several months with stabbing pain in back and shoulder. The oncologist prescribed lyric but pain persisted. Finally I went to emergency room and had clots in my leg and lung. Glad I listened to myself instead of to the oncologist.

Comment from: RAV, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

In both cases of my returning blood clots, I experienced trouble breathing and pain in back and pain in the lower rib cage. I had shoulder surgery the first time, and knee surgery the second time. Knowing the symptoms, I asked my surgeon to consider warfarin treatment after my knee surgery. He gave me a prescription of Lovenox shots for 7 days with no warfarin. Needless to say, the Lovenox was not enough, and blood clots where shown on X-rays from other test being taken for a vein disorder. Blood clots were located in both lungs again, and I am being treated for clotting.

Comment from: pepper10, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My husband just had a 12" blood clot removed from his right arm. He had experienced numbness in his left hand and tingling. The pain hit him without warning. Had I not got him to the hospital when I did ,within 30 minutes after the pain began, he would be dead. He recently had a knee replaced, 10 days ago, and had been doing fine.

Comment from: mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I am a 64 year old male, blood clots are in my urine with no pain anywhere at all.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?