Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: mje, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was a newly married 24 year old female who played hockey every week. My right calf had been bothering me on and off after exercise and soon felt like I had strained it. I began stretching it out regularly and having regular physio and it only got worse. The pain traveled down into my foot and so I saw a podiatrist about my orthotics. My orthotics were adjusted and I was pain free for two days but then it got worse. I was using crutches and still working with this constant ache in my leg. I had an ultrasound to look for a DVT (as I had been on two 47-min plane trips to/from Canberra) about 10 days after the pain started. It came back clear. The pain continued and I kept going to work and taking anti-inflammatory drugs. About 7 days after the ultrasound I was not coping at work and made another doctors app and said I would not be in tomorrow. The doctor gave me a referral for another ultrasound at a different imaging place. They found the clot straight away. It started about half way up my thigh and went down past my knee into my Deep Veins. I was sent straight to the ER and started on Clexane. The next day my lungs were scanned and I had 2 PE, one in each lungs. I was on warfarin for 6 months and from new scans my right leg is clear above my knee but they can't see my veins below my knee. My calf wasn't swollen, my leg wasn't cold, I wasn't out of breath - there were no indications for me other than that first feeling of strain. Now every little pain I get I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital. Don't mess around with ongoing pain - I was very lucky.

Comment from: hannakell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Pain in the lower forearm left it near immobile. Ultrasound confirmed clots in superficial vein. I was not prescribed anything, and told they would dissolve into the blood screen naturally. Doctors said I would notice less to no pain, as it did.

Comment from: Sydros, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

Blood clot was caused in my arm due to an accident.

Comment from: PeterB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a very fit 64 year old male - I generally ride my bike for 2 hours every second day with other vigorous exercise between. Out of the blue I developed thrombophlebitis in a vein in my leg which is now getting rapidly better with Ibuprofen treatment. I have no risk factors at all for this but had a Boostrix vaccination just 4 days before the clots appeared. Could there be a link? If they are not it seems a remarkable coincidence.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have no history that would lead anyone to think that I would have a myocardial infarct from a clot in an artery. Never had chest pain, never had high blood pressure or cholesterol, ate right, exercised. So on a normal day I walk my dogs, go to the gym, and about an hour later I felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a sledgehammer. Couldnt breathe, drenched in sweat. And even worse, home alone. Called the ambulance, and now have a stent, and so many pills that I rattle when I walk. On the good side I'm still alive to bitch about it. Just proves that there is no discrimination in heart disease.

Comment from: Terry D, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Post surgical knee replacement with inadequate prophylactic treatment by surgeon

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

My blood clot was serious enough to have me admitted to the hospital for 6 days. Mine came after knee surgery. I noticed it in therapy

Comment from: alaskahiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

At the age of 48 while hiking in the back country I slipped going down a hill with a 30 pound back pack on. I broke both my tibia and fibula requiring a surgery that installed a plate and 11 screws. Due to the immobilization and not being able to take aspirin (allergic), I developed an acute massive pulmonary embolism blocking the entrance to both lungs. I began having chest pains and an increased heart rate. I went to a walk in clinic and they sent me to the ER for a CT scan. I was immediately admitted to the hospital and treated with TPA. I remained in the hospital for a week. I remained home resting for before returning to work. I worked half days for an additional 2 weeks, and then started full time. The doctor wants to keep me on Paraffin for at least 6 months from the onset. Recover is slow going, but each day gets a little better.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?