Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: Lacey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 19 years old and I was on the birth control pill YAZ, and I got pulmonary embolisms in both of my lungs. I was hospitalized for several days and was taking Lovenox shots three times a day and also taking Coumadin. I am still on Coumadin and hopefully will not be for the rest of my life.

Comment from: #1gammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My blood clots were located in my lungs, twice in a matter of months. The only symptom I had was being short of breath and a little lightheaded. I'm so glad Ii paid attention to my gut feeling to go to ER. This has been life changing. It has taught me not to just ignore what your body is saying to you, even when it's whispering.

Comment from: mother, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My daughter, a stroke victim, started with clots in the paralyzed leg. Now she has clots all over.

Comment from: Joan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had surgery to stop long-lasting leg cramps where I would go crazy with the pain. After that, I had redness in the legs below the knee. The doctor said I have blood clots. I can't take blood-stopping meds, as I have too many allergic reactions to medications. No one seems to want to help with this, so I have suffered for two years now. The doctor that did the surgery told me to wear special stockings and to purchase a machine to exercise my legs a half hour a day.

Comment from: kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I had a blood clot in my lower leg, which traveled to my lungs.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I got a blood clot when I was 17 years old. It was DVT and spanned from my mid-calf up to the top of my abdomen. The blood clot was caused by birth control. The hormones in it had a bad reaction with mine. It started with lower back pain, chest/arm pains, and within two weeks I was unable to walk because the pain in my groin felt like my hip was about to pop out of place. Doctors had no clue what it was, and after thinking it was fluid in my hip joint they did an ultra sound and saw the blood clot. I was immediately admitted to the hospital and after three days of being there I got a pulmonary embolism. My leg swelled up and I was under strict bed confinement for a week until I was finally released on Lovenox and then switched to Coumadin and six months later tested a new blood thinner (can't remember the name) for the hospital. It has been two years, and I am no longer on blood thinners, can run on a treadmill for 15 minutes before my leg goes numb, and still occasionally experience chest pains.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a DVT in my leg after a knee injury that eventually required surgery, but the clot had to be treated. I had to be taken off Coumadin before that could happen. Then, recently, I was hospitalized, and after discharge developed pain that was in the area I'd had an IV. Swelling developed and pain worsened. A clot was found in superficial veins but continued to spread when aspirin therapy was first tried. I ended up needing shots in my abdomen for several weeks.

Comment from: spuky53, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 19

Two days ago my husband got a severe pain up the calf of his left leg. He thought it was the nerve. He asked me to take him to the emergency room. They said it was the nerve. They gave him a prescription. While he was waiting for me to pick him up, he ran his hand down his calf and it was icy cold and his left foot was absolutely white. He showed the doctors and they immediately put him on a drip of blood thinners and called the vascular doctors. He had a blood clot on his left knee and he had four hours of surgery yesterday where they removed the blood clot. His leg did not swell up, nor was it red. It was stark white.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?