Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: PeterB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a very fit 64 year old male - I generally ride my bike for 2 hours every second day with other vigorous exercise between. Out of the blue I developed thrombophlebitis in a vein in my leg which is now getting rapidly better with Ibuprofen treatment. I have no risk factors at all for this but had a Boostrix vaccination just 4 days before the clots appeared. Could there be a link? If they are not it seems a remarkable coincidence.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have no history that would lead anyone to think that I would have a myocardial infarct from a clot in an artery. Never had chest pain, never had high blood pressure or cholesterol, ate right, exercised. So on a normal day I walk my dogs, go to the gym, and about an hour later I felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a sledgehammer. Couldnt breathe, drenched in sweat. And even worse, home alone. Called the ambulance, and now have a stent, and so many pills that I rattle when I walk. On the good side I'm still alive to bitch about it. Just proves that there is no discrimination in heart disease.

Comment from: Terry D, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Post surgical knee replacement with inadequate prophylactic treatment by surgeon

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

My blood clot was serious enough to have me admitted to the hospital for 6 days. Mine came after knee surgery. I noticed it in therapy

Comment from: alaskahiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

At the age of 48 while hiking in the back country I slipped going down a hill with a 30 pound back pack on. I broke both my tibia and fibula requiring a surgery that installed a plate and 11 screws. Due to the immobilization and not being able to take aspirin (allergic), I developed an acute massive pulmonary embolism blocking the entrance to both lungs. I began having chest pains and an increased heart rate. I went to a walk in clinic and they sent me to the ER for a CT scan. I was immediately admitted to the hospital and treated with TPA. I remained in the hospital for a week. I remained home resting for before returning to work. I worked half days for an additional 2 weeks, and then started full time. The doctor wants to keep me on Paraffin for at least 6 months from the onset. Recover is slow going, but each day gets a little better.

Comment from: Pinto mom, Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had been on a short flight and had developed intense pain in my calf. I never had any problems with a blood clot in my life. I have been pretty inactive the last 15 months due to back pain from a car accident and had gained 20 lbs or so in spite of trying to eat healthy. I went straight to the ER from the airport and was admitted pretty quickly. Two pulmonary emboli went to my lungs.

Comment from: countrybusia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

A DVT formed in my right upper arm before my release from the hospital post-surgery.

Comment from: Thobi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My blood clots occured in the right leg first. Then in the lungs and in the brain.

Comment from: sassy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I only found out that I had a blood clot during an appointment with a really good orthopedic surgeon for a knee injury that I had in early march of this year. He ordered an ultra sound of my left leg lower calf part and found the blood clot. The doctor told me that he thought it had been there for some time. I never knew I even had one the only thing that I thought of, was that I had been having leg cramps in that left leg that was pretty painful but, I never thought much of it. I very thankful to that doctor who found the clot.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?