Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: Tudbuga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was surfing and I caught a big wave on the head and I was pushed too fast down 5 meters. I had no time to equalize! I came up with no equilibrium and my eardrum was perforated.

Comment from: jonintrix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell at work, and went to their doctor. In my back I had pulled a muscle, anyway it was swollen, this was on September 16, 2015. After swelling went down my physical therapist had me doing stretches. Then I was released because I could do it. A day or so later, I couldn't sit on my bed, or in a chair, or drive without twisting on a hip. My work made a big deal out of me falling backwards on the floor, and I was put on light duty, sitting pulling files out of boxes, thick files. And people just didn't care, if I hurt. I was told over and over again, you can't do nothing about it. It hurts so bad, up to this day October, 24, 2015, just as bad as when I discovered the injury, does it ever go away, I wonder. It has made my life an agony. I'm beginning to think there is no recovery.

Comment from: Roberts, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

After my wife came home last week from the hospital where she had had a CT scan on her abdominal region, all was fine for about two hours when suddenly she was aware of a sharp pain in between her shoulder blades going round under her right breast. It was not until days later when the pain was too much to bear, she went back to hospital and after being admitted and kept in for two days, that she was told that she had a blood clot. She was put onto warfarin to help keep her blood thin.

Comment from: MH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I developed a blood clot behind my right knee 11 days after a stent procedure for PAD. I was not prescribed a blood thinner medication other than one Plavix pill and a low dose aspirin given by the nurse, prior to being discharged after the same day surgery.

Comment from: Martell34, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I walked into the emergency room after my left calf became swollen and hot to the touch. I ended up having DVT behind my left knee from mid-thigh to the top of my calf. I also had blood clots in both my lungs. I had been having problems for about 3 weeks prior with my calf feeling like it needed to be stretched out and felt like it was cramping. Thought it was just overworked from exercise, maybe strained and it would go away. About a week before I went in, I noticed being short of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Being physically fit, I started to wonder about a blood clot. If you suffer these symptoms, don't wait and get it checked out! What I thought was a strained calf muscle almost killed me!

Comment from: Caroh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My uncle started experiencing some pain on his left leg but at first he assumed thinking it was just an infection. After a few weeks the pain exceeded and he decided 2 visited the doctor who discovered that it was a blood clot and he was admitted 4 two days then discharged. Later on he started feeling pain on the chest n that of the leg became worse. He went back for the check-up n he was admitted but it became worse when he got a swell on his left n he was unable 2 walk. He was admitted but unfortunately after 2 days he died.

Comment from: Leonard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

Blood clots were detected in my left thigh. I thought that I had pulled a muscle. I went to my doctor for a separate problem. I am a truck driver, and I am not their favorite boy at the moment. I am up for review in three weeks, and up until now, my employers have not acknowledged any culpability. I know I have a fight on my hands and am having difficulty finding much support from doctors.

Comment from: flo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I got my lung embolism from an error. I began getting cramps in my calf, and went to my then doctor. Well he told me that it was an infection in the muscle and he sent me home, the pain got worse and worse, to the point I could not touch my leg, because of the pain. Two weeks later when I could no longer deal with the pain, I went to see my doctor again, and he again told me that it was an infection in the muscle and tried to send me home. But one of the nurses saw that I could not walk because of the pain. And she sent me to the hospital not my doctor. When I got to the hospital, they put a little morphine pump with a button, so I could inject myself when the pain got to be horrible. After a couple of days they were going to perform a biopsy to my leg to finally figure up what was wrong with it. But when they transferred me to the gurney, to take me to the operation room, the clot got loose and went to my lungs, the last thing I remember was, that I was being taken to the ER.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?