Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: Leonard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

Blood clots were detected in my left thigh. I thought that I had pulled a muscle. I went to my doctor for a separate problem. I am a truck driver, and I am not their favorite boy at the moment. I am up for review in three weeks, and up until now, my employers have not acknowledged any culpability. I know I have a fight on my hands and am having difficulty finding much support from doctors.

Comment from: flo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I got my lung embolism from an error. I began getting cramps in my calf, and went to my then doctor. Well he told me that it was an infection in the muscle and he sent me home, the pain got worse and worse, to the point I could not touch my leg, because of the pain. Two weeks later when I could no longer deal with the pain, I went to see my doctor again, and he again told me that it was an infection in the muscle and tried to send me home. But one of the nurses saw that I could not walk because of the pain. And she sent me to the hospital not my doctor. When I got to the hospital, they put a little morphine pump with a button, so I could inject myself when the pain got to be horrible. After a couple of days they were going to perform a biopsy to my leg to finally figure up what was wrong with it. But when they transferred me to the gurney, to take me to the operation room, the clot got loose and went to my lungs, the last thing I remember was, that I was being taken to the ER.

Comment from: mje, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was a newly married 24 year old female who played hockey every week. My right calf had been bothering me on and off after exercise and soon felt like I had strained it. I began stretching it out regularly and having regular physio and it only got worse. The pain traveled down into my foot and so I saw a podiatrist about my orthotics. My orthotics were adjusted and I was pain free for two days but then it got worse. I was using crutches and still working with this constant ache in my leg. I had an ultrasound to look for a DVT (as I had been on two 47-min plane trips to/from Canberra) about 10 days after the pain started. It came back clear. The pain continued and I kept going to work and taking anti-inflammatory drugs. About 7 days after the ultrasound I was not coping at work and made another doctors app and said I would not be in tomorrow. The doctor gave me a referral for another ultrasound at a different imaging place. They found the clot straight away. It started about half way up my thigh and went down past my knee into my Deep Veins. I was sent straight to the ER and started on Clexane. The next day my lungs were scanned and I had 2 PE, one in each lungs. I was on warfarin for 6 months and from new scans my right leg is clear above my knee but they can't see my veins below my knee. My calf wasn't swollen, my leg wasn't cold, I wasn't out of breath - there were no indications for me other than that first feeling of strain. Now every little pain I get I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital. Don't mess around with ongoing pain - I was very lucky.

Comment from: Sydros, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

Blood clot was caused in my arm due to an accident.

Comment from: PeterB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a very fit 64 year old male - I generally ride my bike for 2 hours every second day with other vigorous exercise between. Out of the blue I developed thrombophlebitis in a vein in my leg which is now getting rapidly better with Ibuprofen treatment. I have no risk factors at all for this but had a Boostrix vaccination just 4 days before the clots appeared. Could there be a link? If they are not it seems a remarkable coincidence.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have no history that would lead anyone to think that I would have a myocardial infarct from a clot in an artery. Never had chest pain, never had high blood pressure or cholesterol, ate right, exercised. So on a normal day I walk my dogs, go to the gym, and about an hour later I felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a sledgehammer. Couldnt breathe, drenched in sweat. And even worse, home alone. Called the ambulance, and now have a stent, and so many pills that I rattle when I walk. On the good side I'm still alive to bitch about it. Just proves that there is no discrimination in heart disease.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?