Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 29

I had a hysterectomy and 3 weeks later, after a 5 hour car ride (no break), I could not get a deep breath and was coughing. I generally didn't feel well, and had a weakness in my arms and legs. I was in the hospital six days with a pulmonary embolism in both lungs. I had a heparin IV and was eventually put on Coumadin. I go weekly for blood tests and haven't gotten blood regulated yet, it's been a week and a half since I'm out of the hospital. I was told I will be on Coumadin for about 6 to 9 months and then will need further testing to see if I am now prone to clotting and therefore may have to take it the rest of my life.

Comment from: brendie042, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

In November I flew from Florida to Missouri to stay with my son and family. Nine days later I noticed swelling and pain in my left foot. The first time I went to the emergency room (ER) I had a high D-dimer, but because they did not see a clot, they sent me home on Lasix for swelling. I took the Lasix, but the swelling and pain in my left leg got worse, so I went back to the ER. This time they found a blood clot that involved almost my entire leg! The femoral vein, patellar vein, and posterior tibia vein were all blocked. I was on Lovenox and Coumadin in Hospital. I am just on the Coumadin now. The swelling and pain are gone, but they won't look to see how the clot is doing until June, so I have to continue Coumadin for now. It has taken a lot a adjusting to get and keep my Coumadin at the right level.

Comment from: Tudbuga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was surfing and I caught a big wave on the head and I was pushed too fast down 5 meters. I had no time to equalize! I came up with no equilibrium and my eardrum was perforated.

Comment from: jonintrix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell at work, and went to their doctor. In my back I had pulled a muscle, anyway it was swollen, this was on September 16, 2015. After swelling went down my physical therapist had me doing stretches. Then I was released because I could do it. A day or so later, I couldn't sit on my bed, or in a chair, or drive without twisting on a hip. My work made a big deal out of me falling backwards on the floor, and I was put on light duty, sitting pulling files out of boxes, thick files. And people just didn't care, if I hurt. I was told over and over again, you can't do nothing about it. It hurts so bad, up to this day October, 24, 2015, just as bad as when I discovered the injury, does it ever go away, I wonder. It has made my life an agony. I'm beginning to think there is no recovery.

Comment from: Roberts, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

After my wife came home last week from the hospital where she had had a CT scan on her abdominal region, all was fine for about two hours when suddenly she was aware of a sharp pain in between her shoulder blades going round under her right breast. It was not until days later when the pain was too much to bear, she went back to hospital and after being admitted and kept in for two days, that she was told that she had a blood clot. She was put onto warfarin to help keep her blood thin.

Comment from: MH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I developed a blood clot behind my right knee 11 days after a stent procedure for PAD. I was not prescribed a blood thinner medication other than one Plavix pill and a low dose aspirin given by the nurse, prior to being discharged after the same day surgery.

Comment from: Martell34, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I walked into the emergency room after my left calf became swollen and hot to the touch. I ended up having DVT behind my left knee from mid-thigh to the top of my calf. I also had blood clots in both my lungs. I had been having problems for about 3 weeks prior with my calf feeling like it needed to be stretched out and felt like it was cramping. Thought it was just overworked from exercise, maybe strained and it would go away. About a week before I went in, I noticed being short of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Being physically fit, I started to wonder about a blood clot. If you suffer these symptoms, don't wait and get it checked out! What I thought was a strained calf muscle almost killed me!

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?