Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: hannakell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Pain in the lower forearm left it near immobile. Ultrasound confirmed clots in superficial vein. I was not prescribed anything, and told they would dissolve into the blood screen naturally. Doctors said I would notice less to no pain, as it did.

Comment from: pj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had been having severe pain in my left leg for months. It seemed to originate in my knee and radiated up and down my leg. I saw an orthopedic doctor who diagnosed it as severe arthritis. He gave me a cortisone shot, but the pain came back within days. I had begun feeling my heart beat really fast and felt breathless after doing the slightest activity. One morning, my heart started slamming in my chest, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor gasping for breath and soaked in sweat. I had been unconscious for 20 minutes. I was brought to the emergency room and diagnosed with acute pulmonary embolism in both lungs. They administered clot busting drugs and was sent home a week later with Lovenox injections and Coumadin. I still get rapid heartbeat, light headedness and am short of breath. I will be undergoing tests to see if my heart was affected by the embolism. Because of a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) years ago, doctors feel I need to be on Coumadin for the rest of my life. Looking back, I realize that a lot of the pain in my leg was due to blood clots and not arthritis. Lesson learned: don't ignore chronic pain!

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 29

I had a hysterectomy and 3 weeks later, after a 5 hour car ride (no break), I could not get a deep breath and was coughing. I generally didn't feel well, and had a weakness in my arms and legs. I was in the hospital six days with a pulmonary embolism in both lungs. I had a heparin IV and was eventually put on Coumadin. I go weekly for blood tests and haven't gotten blood regulated yet, it's been a week and a half since I'm out of the hospital. I was told I will be on Coumadin for about 6 to 9 months and then will need further testing to see if I am now prone to clotting and therefore may have to take it the rest of my life.

Comment from: Roberts, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

After my wife came home last week from the hospital where she had had a CT scan on her abdominal region, all was fine for about two hours when suddenly she was aware of a sharp pain in between her shoulder blades going round under her right breast. It was not until days later when the pain was too much to bear, she went back to hospital and after being admitted and kept in for two days, that she was told that she had a blood clot. She was put onto warfarin to help keep her blood thin.

Comment from: MH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I developed a blood clot behind my right knee 11 days after a stent procedure for PAD. I was not prescribed a blood thinner medication other than one Plavix pill and a low dose aspirin given by the nurse, prior to being discharged after the same day surgery.

Comment from: Martell34, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I walked into the emergency room after my left calf became swollen and hot to the touch. I ended up having DVT behind my left knee from mid-thigh to the top of my calf. I also had blood clots in both my lungs. I had been having problems for about 3 weeks prior with my calf feeling like it needed to be stretched out and felt like it was cramping. Thought it was just overworked from exercise, maybe strained and it would go away. About a week before I went in, I noticed being short of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Being physically fit, I started to wonder about a blood clot. If you suffer these symptoms, don't wait and get it checked out! What I thought was a strained calf muscle almost killed me!

Comment from: Caroh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My uncle started experiencing some pain on his left leg but at first he assumed thinking it was just an infection. After a few weeks the pain exceeded and he decided 2 visited the doctor who discovered that it was a blood clot and he was admitted 4 two days then discharged. Later on he started feeling pain on the chest n that of the leg became worse. He went back for the check-up n he was admitted but it became worse when he got a swell on his left n he was unable 2 walk. He was admitted but unfortunately after 2 days he died.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?