Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Causes

What was the cause of your blood clot?

Comment from: MH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I developed a blood clot behind my right knee 11 days after a stent procedure for PAD. I was not prescribed a blood thinner medication other than one Plavix pill and a low dose aspirin given by the nurse, prior to being discharged after the same day surgery.

Comment from: Sydros, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

Blood clot was caused in my arm due to an accident.

Comment from: Martell34, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I walked into the emergency room after my left calf became swollen and hot to the touch. I ended up having DVT behind my left knee from mid-thigh to the top of my calf. I also had blood clots in both my lungs. I had been having problems for about 3 weeks prior with my calf feeling like it needed to be stretched out and felt like it was cramping. Thought it was just overworked from exercise, maybe strained and it would go away. About a week before I went in, I noticed being short of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Being physically fit, I started to wonder about a blood clot. If you suffer these symptoms, don't wait and get it checked out! What I thought was a strained calf muscle almost killed me!

Comment from: Caroh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My uncle started experiencing some pain on his left leg but at first he assumed thinking it was just an infection. After a few weeks the pain exceeded and he decided 2 visited the doctor who discovered that it was a blood clot and he was admitted 4 two days then discharged. Later on he started feeling pain on the chest n that of the leg became worse. He went back for the check-up n he was admitted but it became worse when he got a swell on his left n he was unable 2 walk. He was admitted but unfortunately after 2 days he died.

Comment from: Leonard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

Blood clots were detected in my left thigh. I thought that I had pulled a muscle. I went to my doctor for a separate problem. I am a truck driver, and I am not their favorite boy at the moment. I am up for review in three weeks, and up until now, my employers have not acknowledged any culpability. I know I have a fight on my hands and am having difficulty finding much support from doctors.

Comment from: flo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I got my lung embolism from an error. I began getting cramps in my calf, and went to my then doctor. Well he told me that it was an infection in the muscle and he sent me home, the pain got worse and worse, to the point I could not touch my leg, because of the pain. Two weeks later when I could no longer deal with the pain, I went to see my doctor again, and he again told me that it was an infection in the muscle and tried to send me home. But one of the nurses saw that I could not walk because of the pain. And she sent me to the hospital not my doctor. When I got to the hospital, they put a little morphine pump with a button, so I could inject myself when the pain got to be horrible. After a couple of days they were going to perform a biopsy to my leg to finally figure up what was wrong with it. But when they transferred me to the gurney, to take me to the operation room, the clot got loose and went to my lungs, the last thing I remember was, that I was being taken to the ER.

Comment from: mje, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was a newly married 24 year old female who played hockey every week. My right calf had been bothering me on and off after exercise and soon felt like I had strained it. I began stretching it out regularly and having regular physio and it only got worse. The pain traveled down into my foot and so I saw a podiatrist about my orthotics. My orthotics were adjusted and I was pain free for two days but then it got worse. I was using crutches and still working with this constant ache in my leg. I had an ultrasound to look for a DVT (as I had been on two 47-min plane trips to/from Canberra) about 10 days after the pain started. It came back clear. The pain continued and I kept going to work and taking anti-inflammatory drugs. About 7 days after the ultrasound I was not coping at work and made another doctors app and said I would not be in tomorrow. The doctor gave me a referral for another ultrasound at a different imaging place. They found the clot straight away. It started about half way up my thigh and went down past my knee into my Deep Veins. I was sent straight to the ER and started on Clexane. The next day my lungs were scanned and I had 2 PE, one in each lungs. I was on warfarin for 6 months and from new scans my right leg is clear above my knee but they can't see my veins below my knee. My calf wasn't swollen, my leg wasn't cold, I wasn't out of breath - there were no indications for me other than that first feeling of strain. Now every little pain I get I'm wondering if I should go to the hospital. Don't mess around with ongoing pain - I was very lucky.

Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood clots.
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?