Table of Contents
- Blood clot facts
- What are blood clots? What does a blood clot look like?
- What causes blood clots (blood clots in veins or arteries)?
- What causes blood clots (blood clots in the heart, leaking, and other causes)?
- What are the risk factors for blood clots?
- What types of conditions are caused by blood clots (DVT and pulmonary embolism)?
- What types of conditions are caused by blood clots (AFib, atrial thrombosis, and others)?
- What are the signs and symptoms of blood clots?
- What kind of doctors treat blood clots?
- How are blood clots diagnosed?
- What tests are used to diagnose blood clots?
- What is the treatment for blood clots?
- What are the complications of blood clots?
- How can blood clots be prevented?
Quick GuideDeep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention
What are the complications of blood clots?
- Blood clots prevent proper circulation of blood.
- Deep vein thrombosis of the leg or arm may cause permanent damage to the veins themselves and cause persistent swelling of the extremity (post-phlebitis syndrome). The life-threatening issue that may arise from deep vein clots in the arm or leg is that they may break off and embolize to the lungs (pulmonary embolus), causing problems with lung function and oxygenation of the blood.
- Arterial thrombus often is a life- or limb threatening event, since organs and cells do not get enough oxygen when cut off from their oxygen supply. Continue Reading
Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141(2_suppl):
Dzsheka MS, et al. Stroke and bleeding risk in atrial fibrillation. Clin Cardiol.2014, Oct, 37(10)
Medscape. Deep Vein Thrombosis and Thrombophlebitis.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
1. Universal Images Group / Getty Images
2. Brand X Pictures / Getty Images
4. Banana Stock / Getty Images
5. iStock, Bigstock
6. Universal Images Group / Getty Images
7. Universal Images Group / Getty Images
9. Universal Images Group / Getty Images
10. Universal Images Group / Getty Images
11. Hero Images / Getty Images
12. Bruce Blause
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter