Patient Comments: Eyelid Surgery - Recovery

Please describe your experience with recovery after eyelid surgery.

Comment from: gigi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my lower lid eye surgery 5 days ago. It was not painful at all, I chose local anesthesia and a mild sedative so I was awake talking to my surgeon all the time. I have not had a problem so far or taken any pain medicines. It is looking better and better as the days go by. My stitches will be removed in a couple of days. I can already see the change.

Comment from: Jamie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had eyelid surgery 2 days ago. Piece of cake. My eye is wide open now, a little swollen, and tiny bit of pain. I am very happy with mine. My eye doctor did a wonderful job!

Comment from: arlo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I wish I could go back in time and choose a different doctor, and one who uses a knife instead of a laser! Recovery time after my eyelid surgery was very long! At 6 weeks I still had insane eyelid puffiness. The laser cuts outside the eyes don't look right. I am having to use a Dermastamp to hopefully get rid of those scars. I also know now that the laser wastes 0.5 mm of fat at the edges making the crease unnatural looking. Unfortunately my doctor put the crease too high so after the prolonged healing process it doesn't look right.

Comment from: snoopyflygirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

On day 2 of recovery after eyelid surgery, I look like a football player with black bruising under eyes. Right eye is worse than left for some reason. Eyes are watering a lot. Feels like I have sand in my eyes. I woke up every 2 hour last night to put ice mask on eyes. I am eating lots of pineapple, fresh, to help with bruising. Eyelids are very red and have dried blood. I only took 4 Tylenol yesterday for pain, pain not too bad really. All in all can't wait to see myself in 2 weeks.

Comment from: Sophie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had both eyelids done. Neither one was horrible, just tired looking. The left one looked perfect on day 2 with no bleeding or swelling but the right one had swelling and was weeping into a small purple bruise on my cheek. Icing very frequently probably made the right one really better after 4 days but the bruise is still there. Eye shields are good to have at night to prevent accidental rubbing of those stitches! I experienced almost no pain during nor after the procedure. IV helped during the surgery to alleviate all anxiety.

Comment from: Barbie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had eyelid surgery 6 weeks ago. One eye looks great. The other one is drooping badly; left one had the problem drooping and it was a success. The right lid didn"t need anything, but surgeon did surgery on it anyway. It looks worse now than before surgery. I have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and I have pictures too they I have taken. I had no pain since Friday, but had terrible bruising and swelling. My right is twitching, jumping, and has given me problems since surgery.

Comment from: Modeling, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am on the 6th day post operation and due to have stitches removed. That should feel better as they are now feeling tight. My eyes still very swollen but I have not had to use pain relief since the day of the operation. I think that given another week the swelling and bruising should be gone, I am just using sun glasses when out and about and larger reading glasses at work. The secret is keeping them clean and using ointment and ice packs wrapped in clean flannels.

Comment from: Poppy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had an upper eyelid lift. I was told by the doctor that no problems would result that couldn't be fixed. I wasn't prepared for round eyes, I can no longer put my eyeliner on as my eye does not follow the crease of my eye, if I put eyeliner on it goes in a circle. I went back to my doctor and he informed me everything was normal. I eventually went to another specialist who said he could put a stitch in it to make the eye, look more like an eye. There was a lot of itchiness, but that has now settled but I continually have dry eyes which I never had before. I have not decided to go ahead with the stitch yet. My advice is do plenty of research and get drawings before you attempt anything. I didn't. I only thought the doctor was going to lift my lid so I could see better and that my eye shape would stay the same. It didn't. And he cannot fix it.

Eyelid Surgery - Cost Question: How much did your eyelid surgery cost? Was it covered by insurance?
Eyelid Surgery - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications after eyelid surgery?