Patient Comments: Eyelid Surgery - Cost

How much did your eyelid surgery cost? Was it covered by insurance?

Comment from: snoopyflygirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My eyelid surgery way not covered by insurance. I cost USD 5500 for upper and lower eyelids, USD 1100 for facility and USD 520 for anesthesia.

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

The doctor said Medicare would pay for the tightening of my upper eyelid muscles, but I had to pay USD 1700.00 of my own money to have him remove the excess skin. It was a total disaster. The anesthetist did not give me enough medicine, so I was in excruciating pain, feeling every injection he put in my eyelids, trying to dull the pain. The result is my eyelids droop more than before the surgery, obscuring my vision and the puffiness is even worse, and now I have tags of skin left on my eyelids, due to this doctor's inability to perform the surgery. I am waiting for a refund, since both the doctor and Medicare agreed the surgery was a failure. Be careful to choose a good surgeon.

Comment from: scary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my upper eyelid surgery 3 days ago. The more I looked at myself in the mirror, the more I regret for going through with it. I can only open my eyes 1/3 to half of the way due to swollen upper lid. My eyes don't shut when I sleep (my daughter told me). My eyes are not even, one eye is more open than the other. The skin has been pulled too much on one eye that it hurt right after the surgery. My eye shape is no longer the same. The surgical line is long-- it goes way pass the eyes and stops at both sides, the doctor told me that he had to do it otherwise the lid will droop. I was so shocked to see the line. I used to have big open eyes and was proud of it. Blurred vision is what I have encountered the last 3 days. All I can do is wait and see how it turns out after a month. I truly hope that I don't have to go to another doctor to get them fixed to look normal again.

Comment from: BrianMc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I spent zero dollar out of pocket. My surgery was through the Veteran's Affairs. The retina clinic nominated me for surgery. Each eye was done by a different surgeon. The pain was very minor. Head surgeon did my left eye (the worst) went quick in 20 minutes and no pain; bleeding, bruising and swelling were almost non-existent. Intern did my right eye, 40 minutes, much pain, bleeding, and swelling. Two days later when the swelling in the right eye went down I realized they had under-corrected the left eye and over corrected the right eye. They look like they belong to 2 different people. So now they better do something because I have me some lopsided eyes going on here!

Comment from: EJL-Texas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

When I was working, insurance paid for all cost of a fairly mild eyelid surgery. I had an excellent policy with no deductible. At 74 I"ve had that same eyelid more extensively lifted. Medicare paid all they allow and I have an "F" type supplemental policy that pays all the balance due. It all depends on your policy; do talk to your agent.

Comment from: scary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My eyelid surgery cost me $2100.

Eyelid Surgery - Recovery Question: Please describe your experience with recovery after eyelid surgery.
Eyelid Surgery - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications after eyelid surgery?