Patient Comments: Blepharitis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including hygiene, have helped your blepharitis?

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have blepharitis in one eye. I began using Plexus pink drink and found that my symptoms were less. I wondered what Plexus has in it that was helping. Turns out it is high in magnesium. Plexus is expensive so I went to the drug store and bought magnesium supplements. It's working! I wanted to share this because I know what others are going through. I use wet ones periodically. Just for your information something that helped me was when your eyes tear do not wipe them. Only makes it worse. I learned that in the beginning. Now my eyes don't tear with the magnesium. Give it a try. It works for me.

Comment from: Clear Eye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

After seeing an ophthalmologist for blepharitis and following the cleansing routine, the problem went away. Then it came back. When the ophthalmologist did not return my phone call I tried some home remedies. Tea tree oil was just too difficult. I began using Philip B peppermint and avocado shampoo in each eye and on my eye brows, leaving it on while and then I shampooed my hair with a less expensive shampoo. It stings so you have to keep your eyes closed and rinse well but it has kept the blepharitis away.

Comment from: Gigi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have found relief from blepharitis and itching around my eyes with a mixture of 1 part tea tree oil to 4 parts Cetaphil lotion. Make this in small batches and store in glass jar. I do the following routine nightly; wash face, put lubricant eye drops in eyes, close eyes, dab very small amounts of the mixture on eyelids and around eye area, being careful to not get any in eyes. Let it soak in for a minute or two then open your eyes. After 5 minutes, put a little Aquaphor on the same areas. It is important to first put a dab of tea tree oil on your arm for a day to make sure you are not allergic to it. Don't put it on any open sores and don't get any in your mouth.

Comment from: tracy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have just been diagnosed with stage two blepharitis. I have been offered a treatment with BlephEx. It is a new in-office procedure to improve overall health of the eyelid. Then I will have a LipiFlow treatment. The LipiFlow system is a medical device used by a doctor to apply heat and pressure to the eyelids to allow the lipids from the blocked eyelid glands to flow into the tear film. This is a holistic approach that will cost USD 1500.00.

Comment from: Jill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have been trying to cure my blepharitis for several years and tried all the suggestions with only temporary relief. For what it is worth I will share my experience. Since I cannot wear eye makeup I decided to have my eyelids tattooed with semi-permanent make up. My beautician advised me to put Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the tattoo for two weeks. I found this very soothing. When I stopped, the itching returned so I have been putting a very small amount on the roots of my eyelashes, top and bottom, every night, for three months. It seems to stop the itching. I have put my problem down to very dry skin which flakes into tiny powder and causes the itching. I also have it in my ears which need to be cleaned out by a doctor every 6 months as it makes a fine, papery cover to my ear holes. Hope this might help someone. It is a simple solution although I would not call it a cure.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I successfully treated my big case of blepharitis with Aureomycin. All other penicillin and antibiotic drops and ointments had no effect. Aureomycin worked in 2 days to clear up my red puffy eyelid. I rubbed it into the upper eyelid 6 times a day. The effect was quick and dramatic. The puffiness and redness went right down.

Blepharitis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Please share the signs and symptoms associated with your blepharitis.
Blepharitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Complications Question: Did you experience any blepharitis complications?
Blepharitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe how your blepharitis was diagnosed.