Patient Comments: Blepharitis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including hygiene, have helped your blepharitis?

Comment from: Jill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have been trying to cure my blepharitis for several years and tried all the suggestions with only temporary relief. For what it is worth I will share my experience. Since I cannot wear eye makeup I decided to have my eyelids tattooed with semi-permanent make up. My beautician advised me to put Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the tattoo for two weeks. I found this very soothing. When I stopped, the itching returned so I have been putting a very small amount on the roots of my eyelashes, top and bottom, every night, for three months. It seems to stop the itching. I have put my problem down to very dry skin which flakes into tiny powder and causes the itching. I also have it in my ears which need to be cleaned out by a doctor every 6 months as it makes a fine, papery cover to my ear holes. Hope this might help someone. It is a simple solution although I would not call it a cure.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I successfully treated my big case of blepharitis with Aureomycin. All other penicillin and antibiotic drops and ointments had no effect. Aureomycin worked in 2 days to clear up my red puffy eyelid. I rubbed it into the upper eyelid 6 times a day. The effect was quick and dramatic. The puffiness and redness went right down.

Comment from: samdi, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I've been having dry and pink eye (blepharitis) for a long time. Finally I went to an eye doctor and he simply said, I wish I have cure for your eye but there is no medication that can cure your eye. The only way to get relief is to clean it 3 or 4 time a day and use a hot pad on it; in real life it's hard to do. So I figured out an easy way. I purchased a pad for my eyes, filled it with hot water placed it on my eyes for 2 minutes each, after that poured 5 or 6 drop of Johnson baby shampoo and spread it. You have to move your fingers side to side over your eyes for 40 or more seconds, and dry your eyes; and do that every day for the rest of your life.

Comment from: Lynda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

A friend and I were able to kill the blepharitis. My friend's blepharitis moved up into her eyelids. She used a facial scrub with benzethonium chloride in it. I could not find that product any longer so found benzethonium chloride in Wet Ones, an antibacterial wipe in the red box. I cut each wipe into 8 pieces and used 2 on each eyelash area. For a week and a half I did it 4 times a day. Then 3 times a day for a month. Then 2 times a day for 2 months. It was gone. It is a bacterial infection that was in the roots and thus took a long time to kill. Two people using 2 different products with the same ingredient, benzethonium chloride killed it. I hope this helps others to know that it can be cleared up. There were 3 doctors who couldn't find it in my eyes, one of them was the doctor who diagnosed it. Sometimes desperation can produce a cure.

Comment from: Jill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have suffered, originally very red eyes, thought to be an allergy to something, for 18 months now. I have been to specialist eye consultants, via the general physician and paid out over USD 200 in medications and products to try to resolve. I've been using a lotion called Blephasol and gel recently, but even this has not kept the condition under control. I have some of the symptoms of blepharitis but not all of them. My eye lids and under my eyes is very sore and painful and I also get a dark red line/mark that follows the contours of my skin around my eyes, which is also very sore, that looks as if I've painted it on with a red pen. I know I shall have to go back to my general physician to be referred to another specialist.

Blepharitis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Please share the signs and symptoms associated with your blepharitis.
Blepharitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your blepharitis diagnosed?