Patient Comments: Blepharitis - Signs and Symptoms

Please share the signs and symptoms associated with your blepharitis.

Comment from: Shark, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I noticed changes in my skin first after my dog jumped up and his paw scratched my face just below my left eye. The wound took a very long time to clear up with a lot of scarring and crusting. Eventually this seemed to heal but was replaced by pimples on the outer perimeter of my nose, in the middle of my forehead, on the tip of my nose and on my right cheek. Shortly after I developed scratchy eyes and a full blown swollen lids and very red watery eye. I teach 5 year olds so people tended to tell me I had pink eye. This began in February and it is now May and my doctor just told me that I have blepharitis. But I think it all began with the scratch from my dog!

Comment from: Sasha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I've done everything the doctor has prescribed, hot face cloths, massaging eyelids, 2000 mill of Omega 3s and 100 mg of doxycycline daily. I've now developed scar tissue and my eye lids are swollen and painful. My doctor told me that I need surgery where he would open the glands. This is not covered by insurance because it is considered experimental at this point. I saw him just a few days ago and in that time the swelling has increased. I don't see how there is a choice at this point.

Blepharitis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including hygiene, have helped your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your blepharitis?