Patient Comments: Blepharitis - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your blepharitis?

Comment from: Dan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

The source of the blepharitis infection (bacteria) was from unsanitary bath water that splashed into eye region and eventually onto my eyeball. Cleansing the body in a bathtub (stagnant water) might be acceptable to some but definitely has health risks. Never again.

Comment from: LEIGH, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

In 1994 I had my eyelids tattooed after which I experienced itchy, burning and crusty eyelids. I concluded unsanitary tattoo tool was the cause. I had my eyes examined and the doctor asked me if I was aware I have blepharitis. I had never heard of it until then. I have lived with the bothersome eye lid problem since but finally had enough. Ophthalmologist said to use baby shampoo on hot cloth to clean eye lids and then hot rice bag. I will try this remedy today.

Comment from: Julia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My blepharitis was caused by a severe case of the adenovirus.

Comment from: lovelytee8, Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My dog was super excited to see me after a long weekend and she jumped up and her nose hit me in the eye and her mucous got into my eye as well. My eyes felt gross that whole day even after trying to rinse with warm water. A week later, end result was blepharitis.

Comment from: mjfrnkamj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was cleaning the toilet with a brush when I felt something hit me in the eye. I splashed water into my eyes from the wash basin and went to sleep. The next morning I noticed pain in my right eye and sensitivity to light; blepharitis.

Comment from: sad eyes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I think the cause of my blepharitis is the scarring and clogging of the meibomian glands in my eyelids, especially the lower lids. I have had surgery, but I still have severe tears, itching and redness in the eyes. This summer it was much better. Now in the northeast with the heat and dry air it is awful.

Comment from: WQ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Demodex mites was the cause of my blepharitis. I have been treated with tee tree oil and Posiformin.

Comment from: Nbug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My blepharitis was caused by black liquid eyeliner.

Comment from: Angie Oliver, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

The doctor said the blepharitis was caused by a bacterial infection and having tears not mixing right.

Comment from: Cathmack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have dry eye syndrome which caused the blepharitis.

Blepharitis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Please share the signs and symptoms associated with your blepharitis.
Blepharitis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including hygiene, have helped your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from blepharitis?
Blepharitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your blepharitis diagnosed?