Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids. Acne rosacea, Staphylococcal bacteria, allergies, sensitivities to makeup or contact lens solutions, head lice, or other conditions may cause blepharitis. Symptoms and signs include itchy eyelids, burning sensation in the eyes, crusting of the eyelids, light sensitivity, red, swollen eyelids, loss of eyelashes, and dandruff of the lashes and eyebrows. Proper eyelid hygiene and a regular cleaning routine controls blepharitis.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...learn more »
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...learn more »
In This Article
- Rosacea facts
- What is rosacea? Is rosacea contagious?
- Is rosacea like acne?
- What are causes and risk factors of rosacea?
- What are rosacea symptoms and signs?
- How is rosacea diagnosed?
- How does rosacea affect the nose and the eyes?
- Is there a cure for rosacea?
- What about using acne medicine for rosacea?
- What is the treatment for rosacea?
- What are rosacea triggers? Is there a rosacea diet? What foods are good for rosacea?
- What natural treatments or home remedies can help rosacea?
- Does rosacea get worse with age?
- How should people care for their facial skin?
- How are the telangiectasias (the red lines) treated?
- How is a rhinophyma (the W.C. Fields nose) treated?
- What effect may rosacea have on a person's life?
- Where can people get more information about rosacea?
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...learn more »
In This Article
- Itch facts
- What is an itch?
- What are associated symptoms and signs of itching?
- What causes itching?
- How is the cause of itching diagnosed?
- Should people scratch the itch?
- What are topical itch treatments? Are there any home remedies for itching?
- What are oral itch treatments?
- Can itching be prevented?
- When should the doctor be consulted for itching?
- What are possible complications of itching?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for itching?
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...learn more »
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...learn more »