Patient Comments: Bladder Spasms - Describe the Feeling

How would you describe the feelings or symptoms that are considered bladder spasms?

Comment from: Isabella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

First I have a severe, urgent need to urinate, but little to no urine is excreted. I have severe pain in my vaginal area up to my lower abdomen which lasts approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute, it feels like a hot poker is being inserted, then the pain gradually decreases. I never know when they're going to start or when they will end, sometimes I am debilitated for hours to 2 or 3 days.

Comment from: nettieanderson@hotma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have bladder spasms and colon spasms. This has really wrecked my life and nervous system. I urinate myself to death and it hurts so badly. It is really hard to deal with.

Comment from: Cluefree, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 28

If I hold my urine too long, my right side, which I think is my kidney, starts to ache. I generally run to the restroom before the pain starts but if I wait too long my bladder contracts and the pain in my side increases exponentially. I feel sick to my stomach and light headed to the point of passing out. The pain subsides and then I return to normal. I'm not getting any burning or sudden urge to go.

Comment from: shirley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had prolapsed bladder/bowel surgery in 2012. I had a lot of pain, had tests but nothing showed up. I have been in hospital about 7 times this year and found out I have bladder and bowel spasms. I recently had Botox and steroid injection into bladder but I am still in pain and have depression. The surgeon said a nerve has been damaged.

Comment from: tamm0449, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

When I have a spasm, I feel an immediate urge to urinate and have to run to the bathroom. In extreme cases, I will feel a painful pinching sensation at the opening of my bladder.

Bladder Spasms - Causes Question: If known, what is the cause of your bladder spasms?
Bladder Spasms - Treatment Question: Depending on the cause, treatments for bladder spasms vary. What kinds of treatment did you receive?