Patient Comments: Bladder Infection - Prevention

If you've had a bladder infection, what do you do to prevent another one?

Comment from: Betsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a severe bladder infection when I was 21 years old. My mother told me to drink cranberry juice mixed half and half with fresh, lots of pulp, orange juice. I have done that daily since then and have never, ever, had another bladder infection. I swear by the cranberry treatment. Orange juice makes it more effective.

Comment from: Curiosity, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

About 40 years ago, “Dear Abby” consulted urologists regarding UTIs (urinary tract infections) and advised readers not to sleep with panties on. I followed that successfully for years. Often, as an elderly female, I found I absentmindedly flushed before I got up! Flushing causes the release of many airborne bacteria, which then have access to the exposed genitalia, et al. I decided this can cause UTIs and bladder infections. Now, I get up before flushing!

Bladder Infection - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bladder infection?
Bladder Infection - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for your bladder infection?
Bladder Infection - Children Question: If your child had a bladder infection, please describe the symptoms that led to a diagnosis.