Patient Comments: Bladder Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with bladder infection?

Comment from: Vd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had quite a few urinary tract infections (UTIs) but this last one has been different. I tried to self-treat it with cranberry juice, etc. After 2weeks I started having a stinging pain in my bladder region, then cramps. Now I've been on antibiotics for 5 days, but the abdominal pain is the same. Urologist has no answer for me. Thanks!

Comment from: kenny m., Male (Patient) Published: October 22

When I go and urinate it stings and I go a lot in a day's time, about every 2 hours. I don't have any pain in my back or anywhere else because of bladder infection.

Comment from: ella, Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I get urinary tract infections (UTIs) on average twice a year, and the severity of symptoms is increasing with each episode. Being in tune with my body is essential, because the symptoms develop rapidly. During the most recent episode, I went from dull abdominal pain to urgency, blood in my urine with extreme burning when voiding, chills and nausea in three hours! I went for a blood test at the three hour mark, but asked my husband to bring me home while he waited for the prescription to be filled because I was at the point where getting off the toilet was not an option! I spent another three hours there before I could go lay down, but still had to make frequent bathroom visits for several hours. I think the single, most effective preventative measure is to drink lots of water every day.

Comment from: JudyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I get a bladder infection, I have all the normal symptoms, i.e., burning, extreme pain at the end of urinating, chills, and the general "I wish this would go away" feeling. However, in addition I get diarrhea and I pass out quite frequently and have right flank pain. My urologist can't explain these last few symptoms.

Comment from: SEPF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was having severe pain in my lower right abdomen. Initially, I attributed this intense pain to menstrual cramps and the fibroid tumors I knew were present. However, after my cycle ended, the pain remained and worsened. Still, I was blaming the pain on the uterine fibroids. Even with my high tolerance for pain, the pain was unbearable and seemed to have moved from my lower right side to my lower back. I began to question if the pain was due to an increase in the size of the fibroids, one or more of the fibroids degenerating as they sometimes do when they outgrow the blood supply, or, possibly, the pain was because of a bladder infection. I only considered a bladder infection because of the intense pain in the lower right region of my abdomen as I had not experienced an increased urgency nor frequency of urination nor any burning during or at the end of urination. So, I visited my gynecologist 4 days back and sure enough she called yesterday stating I had a bladder infection and she was calling in a prescription to the local pharmacy for pickup. The moral here is be careful of self-diagnosis; the symptoms can be misleading. Better to go to the doctor and let the experts figure it out for you!

Comment from: Scorpio, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I had a sharp pain on the right side of my abdomen. I thought it might be appendicitis. I went to emergency room and was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI). I have been on antibiotics for 3 days now but I am still experiencing the pain from about 5.00 am to mid-afternoon. I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: slamdunk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

As a registered nurse I was well aware of what I thought were the symptoms of urinary tract infection (UTI). However I had no burning etc., just the urge to go after I had just voided, and a horrible pain in my lower left abdomen. I was amazed when my urine showed some blood cells and infection. I was so happy to read that someone else on this post had my exact symptoms bladder infection.

Bladder Infection - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for your bladder infection?
Bladder Infection - Children Question: If your child had a bladder infection, please describe the symptoms that led to a diagnosis.
Bladder Infection - Prevention Question: If you've had a bladder infection, what do you do to prevent another one?