Patient Comments: Bladder Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with bladder infection?

Comment from: JudyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I get a bladder infection, I have all the normal symptoms, i.e., burning, extreme pain at the end of urinating, chills, and the general "I wish this would go away" feeling. However, in addition I get diarrhea and I pass out quite frequently and have right flank pain. My urologist can't explain these last few symptoms.

Comment from: SEPF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was having severe pain in my lower right abdomen. Initially, I attributed this intense pain to menstrual cramps and the fibroid tumors I knew were present. However, after my cycle ended, the pain remained and worsened. Still, I was blaming the pain on the uterine fibroids. Even with my high tolerance for pain, the pain was unbearable and seemed to have moved from my lower right side to my lower back. I began to question if the pain was due to an increase in the size of the fibroids, one or more of the fibroids degenerating as they sometimes do when they outgrow the blood supply, or, possibly, the pain was because of a bladder infection. I only considered a bladder infection because of the intense pain in the lower right region of my abdomen as I had not experienced an increased urgency nor frequency of urination nor any burning during or at the end of urination. So, I visited my gynecologist 4 days back and sure enough she called yesterday stating I had a bladder infection and she was calling in a prescription to the local pharmacy for pickup. The moral here is be careful of self-diagnosis; the symptoms can be misleading. Better to go to the doctor and let the experts figure it out for you!

Comment from: Mire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had confused bladder infection with menstrual cramps (which I never get), there was blood in my underwear, I had cramps in my lower abdomen and my urine odor was normal. I tried apple cider vinegar mixed with water but what worked best was baking soda and water (and of course a healthy diet) that would ensure a healthy Ph in my body.

Comment from: slamdunk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

As a registered nurse I was well aware of what I thought were the symptoms of urinary tract infection (UTI). However I had no burning etc., just the urge to go after I had just voided, and a horrible pain in my lower left abdomen. I was amazed when my urine showed some blood cells and infection. I was so happy to read that someone else on this post had my exact symptoms bladder infection.

Comment from: pari, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am suffering from this urinary tract infection from last 5 months. I'm having too much pain around my pelvic region and lower abdomen; itching problem is there and burning is too much. It smells too bad near vaginal the region. After getting diagnosed too I'm not getting relief.

Comment from: Paige, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had no pain at all when urinating, but a constant urge to "go," even as soon as 10 minutes after urinating. I also experienced intense cramping in the lower left part of my abdomen.

Comment from: uyrt, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I feel pain while urinating and a slight itching in my urinary tract – but do not have any bleeding or pain elsewhere. I can't tolerate the pain while urinating.

Comment from: Reggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I feel a bit out of it, with lower abdomen ache/pain. When it's bad, I can feel disorientated.

Bladder Infection - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for your bladder infection?
Bladder Infection - Children Question: If your child had a bladder infection, please describe the symptoms that led to a diagnosis.
Bladder Infection - Prevention Question: If you've had a bladder infection, what do you do to prevent another one?