Patient Comments: Bladder Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with bladder infection?

Comment from: lynn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 13

My bladder infection symptom was mostly a nasty odor, almost an acid one.

Comment from: h9096, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I've had chronic bladder infections for almost 2 years now. Sometimes I can recognize my symptoms, other times I don't know I have one until I'm suddenly in extreme pain and decide to make a visit to the emergency room. More often than not I present with painful urination and frequency, but that's about it. When they go unnoticed, I often develop somewhat extreme abdominal pain (usually middle to lower area) and diarrhea, along with lots of spasming in my lower abdomen. Like any medical condition, it's always important to get checked out, even if it could be nothing, because it also could be something. Listen to your body!

Comment from: Vd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had quite a few urinary tract infections (UTIs) but this last one has been different. I tried to self-treat it with cranberry juice, etc. After 2weeks I started having a stinging pain in my bladder region, then cramps. Now I've been on antibiotics for 5 days, but the abdominal pain is the same. Urologist has no answer for me. Thanks!

Comment from: kenny m., Male (Patient) Published: October 22

When I go and urinate it stings and I go a lot in a day's time, about every 2 hours. I don't have any pain in my back or anywhere else because of bladder infection.

Comment from: ella, Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I get urinary tract infections (UTIs) on average twice a year, and the severity of symptoms is increasing with each episode. Being in tune with my body is essential, because the symptoms develop rapidly. During the most recent episode, I went from dull abdominal pain to urgency, blood in my urine with extreme burning when voiding, chills and nausea in three hours! I went for a blood test at the three hour mark, but asked my husband to bring me home while he waited for the prescription to be filled because I was at the point where getting off the toilet was not an option! I spent another three hours there before I could go lay down, but still had to make frequent bathroom visits for several hours. I think the single, most effective preventative measure is to drink lots of water every day.

Comment from: Wishing Well, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have had continuous urinary tract infections for the past 2 years. My urologist, gynecologist and primary physician have all given me antibiotics on a continual basis. Once I finish a schedule of antibiotics, the next day, a new urinary tract infection symptoms begin. I am looking for any doctor who can help me get to the cause. So far, no cause has been found. I am afraid that I am taking too much antibiotic medicine.

Comment from: khizar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

With bladder infection I am seeing blood cells in urine 3 to 5 and pus cells 2 to 3 and my urine color is cloudy. During urination lots of clots of blood are seen.

Comment from: JudyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I get a bladder infection, I have all the normal symptoms, i.e., burning, extreme pain at the end of urinating, chills, and the general "I wish this would go away" feeling. However, in addition I get diarrhea and I pass out quite frequently and have right flank pain. My urologist can't explain these last few symptoms.

Bladder Infection - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for your bladder infection?
Bladder Infection - Children Question: If your child had a bladder infection, please describe the symptoms that led to a diagnosis.
Bladder Infection - Prevention Question: If you've had a bladder infection, what do you do to prevent another one?