Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

Comment from: exerciser, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 01

Four years ago I awoke to urinate at 2 am and passed bloody urine and many blood clots. I spoke to a urologist few hours later. I saw him next day for cystoscopy and a stalked-type cancer tumor was seen. It was excised following week in outpatient procedure and BCG treatment was started once a week for 6 wks. I had no side effects. Cytology tests on urine showed positive cancer cells at few months' post-operation and post-BCG treatments. Specialized scans of the urinary tract and kidneys were negative. I continued on schedule of 4 cystoscopies/year, then 3/year and last year 2/year, with no recurrence of cancer or positive cytology studies. Now on 1 cystoscopy exam/year and last one in August was negative. I am a 75 year old male, no family history of bladder cancer, and always very physically active. My original episode of bloody urine was preceded the night before by my usual racquetball night. The surgeon and I both feel this was lucky because the vigorous exercise probably instigated the bleed. I could have not seen any symptom for many months had I not been running around that night.

Comment from: Abby, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My husband had bladder cancer and removal of bladder. All cancer removed, no chemotherapy or radiation was needed. The only thing that is alarming is, the urine smells strongly and just bad and he runs a fever. After antibiotics, odor goes away totally. Husband's surgery was in January 14.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I had heavy blood in my urine for a week before finally going to a doctor in the fall of 2006 when I reached a point of total blockage. A cysto showed a tumor, which was removed a month later and diagnosed as a superficial cancer. The doctor thought it had all been removed, but a biopsy several weeks later showed cancer cells remaining. I started six weeks of BCG, which I was told is very effective and it worked for me. Only two of the treatments gave me minor side effects that didn't last beyond the day of treatment. Another biopsy in the hospital a few weeks after the last treatment didn't show any remaining cancer cells. I had a cystoscopy every three months for a year after the last BCG treatment, and then every four months for another year. I'm now on a six month cysto and annual CT scan schedule for another two and a half years, and I have been cancer free so far. I know it can recur, but BCG worked very well for me, as it does for countless others. I'm 75 and had ovarian cancer many years ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the bladder cancer doesn't recur. I have other medical issues and deal with things one at a time. I don't dwell on it and can't spend my life worrying about it. Several medical professionals told me that BCG is highly effective and can be used repeatedly, so I trust it will work for me again if there's a recurrence. Obviously, I hope that won't be necessary, but it beats most of the alternatives.

Comment from: twink, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had bladder cancer in 2004, I now have a urostomy bag. You never really get used to it but as everyone says at least you are still here. They tell you that you can have a normal sex life, well, sex still hurts. And when I go to my general physician they don't have a clue what they are dealing with so if I have a problem I have to go to the accident and emergency, but again as everyone says at least you are still here!

Comment from: royrogers, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

March 2002 I found I had bladder cancer. After procedure it retuned 9 months later. It returned again in 9 months. Started chemo and it came back in 3 years. Procedure and chemo again it came back in 2 years. 90 days later it is back again. 7 procedures, 34 tumors removed 9 rounds of poison and I am still kickin' and still have my bladder intact in December 2010.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a cystoscopy done and the doctor did not find anything, and said that I needed a dilation. I went in for a dilation of urethra and doctor found tumor. A month later, he goes back to get it and it is gone. I'm having terrible back pain and having trouble with the flow. The doctor is marking as a urinary tract infection (UTI). But he does not want to see me for 6 months.

Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What led to your bladder cancer diagnosis?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.