Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have received BCG for my bladder cancer and the treatment to did not take for my cancer. I am going to try a second time around. I am not happy with my present urologist who is not a cancer specialist in bladder. I would like to know what treatments are available so I know what I am talking about and if I am a candidate. I would like to see another specialist in South Carolina, Horry County that I am close to. If necessary Charleston would be ok. Thank you John

Comment from: Kim, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

My dad has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. He has been for surgery twice, and they said they missed a bit. Now they have said that they missed some more. So he has to go back for more surgeries. This is frustrating, and I can't believe they keep missing a bit.

Comment from: Bruno, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

Hello, I am 29 years old, and I had a bladder tumor removed last July. I am a male non-smoker, but I am an aircraft engineer, which seems to have caused it. I thought I was dying, but I am OK now. I had a scope done last November, and I was supposed to have another a few months ago, but I can't find the courage to go.

Comment from: Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

In June or July of 2000 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It started out to be what I thought was a urinary tract infection. After several tests proved inconclusive I was sent to a urologist who did a cystoscopy and found 3 tumors. I was fortunate that they had not invaded the bladder wall and was given BCG treatments for 1 year. I have had a cystoscopy every year and have been cancer free so far. It seems early detection was the key here.

Comment from: Onardossa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I want to say - thank you for this!

Comment from: Sunflower, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My partner was diagnosed with an aggressive form of superficial bladder cancer after noticing his urine to be an unusual color (slightly rusty). After two bouts of surgery to remove this, he is now nearing the end of his second year with BCG treatment. Regular urine tests and cystoscopies (where they look up your bladder with a small camera) also keep a check on any possible recurrence. We have been lucky that all seems to be going well.

Comment from: Debra H, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

The lesson I have learned is to be pushy when going to your general practitioner. One year ago, I had bright blood in my urine. The GP gave me antibiotics and it appeared to fix the problem. As I was also menopausal, I dismissed the slight pink blood stains that appeared occasionally and went just as quickly for a whole year. Then the bleeding began in earnest again, and I was passing large clots as well. I became very anemic. I was loosing blood waiting for the private specialist to see me and ended up being in an ambulance as my urethra had blocked completely, and I was unable to pee. After two days at the hospital trying to flush the clots out, they removed all the clots and the growths they found. I had an aggressive form of bladder cancer. Lucky for me, it was confined to the lining. I have been having MRIs performed every three months and most times, I have more tissue taken out. You know your body best: Ask for an appointment with a specialist.

Comment from: Belle2, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer that has spread to his liver. Chemo is working well. He is scheduled for bladder, and prostate removal in about one month. We are concerned about the sexual side effects.

Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: What was the cause of your bladder cancer? Did you have any risks, like smoking?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.