Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

Comment from: Justin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I was 26 when I noticed I started to pee a large amount of blood. I went to a uroligist and found out I had a nonagressive superficial bladder tumor. I had it removed and had my checkups for two years, and it looked great. Going into my third year I've noticed some bladder pain, a little burning when I pee and some kidney burning. I've scheduled an appointment with my urologist since it has been a year. I am very scared and hope that everything is OK!

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have received BCG for my bladder cancer and the treatment to did not take for my cancer. I am going to try a second time around. I am not happy with my present urologist who is not a cancer specialist in bladder. I would like to know what treatments are available so I know what I am talking about and if I am a candidate. I would like to see another specialist in South Carolina, Horry County that I am close to. If necessary Charleston would be ok. Thank you John

Comment from: Mandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was first diagnosed with bladder cancer at 31, just after my third child was born. The only symptom I had at that time was painless blood. This year is my 25th year of recurrent transitional cell carcinoma. Three years is the longest I have ever gone without reocurrance. I have had BCG treatments that have worked for a while, and Mitocin that also worked for a while. I have smoked in my lifetime. I have gotten a 2nd opinion at Mayo. Now that I am more aware of my body, I can usually tell whether it's back or not. Yesterday, I found out it's time for more surgery. You just have to keep keeping on.............

Comment from: alan, 75 or over Male Published: August 17

My father has been told he has aggressive cancer in his bladder. They have already removed what they were able to remove. I feel he is not telling the family the full story. He is now being referred for radium treatment. He is 81. He is up three or four times a night for the bathroom and is constantly fatigued.

Comment from: Kim, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

My dad has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. He has been for surgery twice, and they said they missed a bit. Now they have said that they missed some more. So he has to go back for more surgeries. This is frustrating, and I can't believe they keep missing a bit.

Comment from: Bruno, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

Hello, I am 29 years old, and I had a bladder tumor removed last July. I am a male non-smoker, but I am an aircraft engineer, which seems to have caused it. I thought I was dying, but I am OK now. I had a scope done last November, and I was supposed to have another a few months ago, but I can't find the courage to go.

Comment from: Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

In June or July of 2000 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It started out to be what I thought was a urinary tract infection. After several tests proved inconclusive I was sent to a urologist who did a cystoscopy and found 3 tumors. I was fortunate that they had not invaded the bladder wall and was given BCG treatments for 1 year. I have had a cystoscopy every year and have been cancer free so far. It seems early detection was the key here.

Comment from: Onardossa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I want to say - thank you for this!

Comment from: Sunflower, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My partner was diagnosed with an aggressive form of superficial bladder cancer after noticing his urine to be an unusual color (slightly rusty). After two bouts of surgery to remove this, he is now nearing the end of his second year with BCG treatment. Regular urine tests and cystoscopies (where they look up your bladder with a small camera) also keep a check on any possible recurrence. We have been lucky that all seems to be going well.

Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What led to your bladder cancer diagnosis?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.