Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

Comment from: alejo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have a bladder carcinoma my doctor advised me a total removal of my bladder.

Comment from: Mandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was first diagnosed with bladder cancer at 31, just after my third child was born. The only symptom I had at that time was painless blood. This year is my 25th year of recurrent transitional cell carcinoma. Three years is the longest I have ever gone without reocurrance. I have had BCG treatments that have worked for a while, and Mitocin that also worked for a while. I have smoked in my lifetime. I have gotten a 2nd opinion at Mayo. Now that I am more aware of my body, I can usually tell whether it's back or not. Yesterday, I found out it's time for more surgery. You just have to keep keeping on.............

Comment from: jeanima, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer in November 2009, it was a very rare type, very aggressive but still quite small, the wonderful surgeon I had said the only safe way was to have Radical Surgery, the operation took nearly 9 hours everything including my woman's bits were taken too and I have a bag which works just fine and it is very little inconvenience for my second chance of life!!

Comment from: alan, 75 or over Male Published: August 17

My father has been told he has aggressive cancer in his bladder. They have already removed what they were able to remove. I feel he is not telling the family the full story. He is now being referred for radium treatment. He is 81. He is up three or four times a night for the bathroom and is constantly fatigued.

Comment from: Miracle Of Asparagus, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Try drinking pureed Asparagus, to eliminate cancer growth in our bodies. It equalizes red and white cell counts, thus eliminating cancer growth. I drank 2 tins of asparagus, pureed, per day, for 2 months, and removed bladder tumors. I now drink 1 tin per day, as a tonic, as it also improved my blood tests. Asparagus has a protein called 'histones,' which is believed to be active in controlling cell growth, and eliminates the prospect of cancer entering our bodies.

Comment from: Helpafriend, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

I have a friend that was diagnosed with bladder cancer in May/09. The doctor's removed it and in 3 months a check up was done and the cancer returned. This time the cancer was in 3 places and it was considered aggressive, invasive, and in the lining. I for the 2nd time told her to consider removal and just go with the bag. This was NOT for her! So she went for the cancer treatments, 6 weeks of them. Never got sick and she was totally well throughout treatment. Now after the treatments she is getting silver strobing circular lights in her vision. She went to the hospital and seen a specialist for eyes. He wants her to have an electrode test in March to see if the retina is permanently damaged. The doctor said that she has all the classic symptoms of her immune system attacking her retina. This reduces the protein in the retina and then blindness. I might add this is a rapid situation. This occurs in about 15% of people that have certain cancers bladder cancer is one. So NOW if my friend would have listened to me and removed her bladder before the 2nd bout she would of been rid of the cancer and not be facing going blind. I find this to be a very sad situation that could have been prevented. My advice to anyone with invasive bladder cancer is get rid of it while you still have the chance. Not knocking cancer treatments, but it seems that you are really never out of the woods. I guess if you have the cancer treatment in the beginning and it totally works then carry on with regular checks. Hope I have saved 1 person by providing this information. Swallow your pride and live again...With the bag!!! I would.

Comment from: Justin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I was 26 when I noticed I started to pee a large amount of blood. I went to a uroligist and found out I had a nonagressive superficial bladder tumor. I had it removed and had my checkups for two years, and it looked great. Going into my third year I've noticed some bladder pain, a little burning when I pee and some kidney burning. I've scheduled an appointment with my urologist since it has been a year. I am very scared and hope that everything is OK!

Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: What was the cause of your bladder cancer? Did you have any risks, like smoking?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.