Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?

Comment from: alejo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have a bladder carcinoma my doctor advised me a total removal of my bladder.

Comment from: libraryasst52, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer two days ago. He had a tumor removed, and it was malignant. The doctor will go back into his bladder in two weeks to make sure he got all of the tumor and to do scrapings of the bladder wall to make sure it hasn't spread into the bladder lining. In the meantime, my husband wants to sleep all the time.

Comment from: Scrap, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 30 year old male now. At 28 I found out I had bladder cancer after an ER trip with blood in urine and blood clots with massive lower back pain. For now a year and a half I have had a constant battle. 4 surgeries and 13 tumors later I am in no better shape than when I found out I had it. My last surgery was 3 months ago and 2 days ago I found out I have 6 more tumors that have grown since. The smallest is 1/8th of an inch. I have had a wide array of bladder spasms ranging from massive pain to barely feeling it and have also had a constant lower back pain since my first surgery. My bladder is now twice the size it was and is weak and flabby so I retain urine in excess of 500cc's at any given time. I have had urodynamics testing which told them that my bladder is very weak and at that time I was retaining over 700cc's of urine. Emotionally and mentally this has taken one heck of a toll on me.

Comment from: Bruce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I was 53 years old when I urinated a lot of blood one morning. I went immediately to the clinic and the doctor set me up with a urologist the next day. He stuck in his scope and almost immediately pulled it out. He said we were going to do two things, 1) quite smoking, 2) operate the next morning. It was a stage 3 tumor in the bladder and imperative that it came out. After the operation I took BCG treatments and I was of the percentage it did not work on. The cancer had spread throughout the the inner walls of the bladder. My doctor recommended a radical cystectomy and I finally concurred after determining that chemo and radiation might not be too effective. Now the question was whether I wanted an internal pouch fashioned out of a section of my colon, or and external pouch with a piece of my intestine sticking through my side. I chose the latter. Seemed easier than cauterizing my new bladder to eliminate the urine every two hours or so, including night time. I have been cancer free for six years now. Have experimented with different pouches and have found a good method of taking care of these and can make them last 7-14 days, depending on how active I am. However, I would urge all males to seek immediate help with aftercare and working to reestablish one's sexual function. All is not lost, but there is work and care involved. The only thing that I choose not to do today that I did before the cancer is sliding into second base on my belly.

Comment from: Helpafriend, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

I have a friend that was diagnosed with bladder cancer in May/09. The doctor's removed it and in 3 months a check up was done and the cancer returned. This time the cancer was in 3 places and it was considered aggressive, invasive, and in the lining. I for the 2nd time told her to consider removal and just go with the bag. This was NOT for her! So she went for the cancer treatments, 6 weeks of them. Never got sick and she was totally well throughout treatment. Now after the treatments she is getting silver strobing circular lights in her vision. She went to the hospital and seen a specialist for eyes. He wants her to have an electrode test in March to see if the retina is permanently damaged. The doctor said that she has all the classic symptoms of her immune system attacking her retina. This reduces the protein in the retina and then blindness. I might add this is a rapid situation. This occurs in about 15% of people that have certain cancers bladder cancer is one. So NOW if my friend would have listened to me and removed her bladder before the 2nd bout she would of been rid of the cancer and not be facing going blind. I find this to be a very sad situation that could have been prevented. My advice to anyone with invasive bladder cancer is get rid of it while you still have the chance. Not knocking cancer treatments, but it seems that you are really never out of the woods. I guess if you have the cancer treatment in the beginning and it totally works then carry on with regular checks. Hope I have saved 1 person by providing this information. Swallow your pride and live again...With the bag!!! I would.

Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What led to your bladder cancer diagnosis?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.