Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis

What led to your bladder cancer diagnosis?

Comment from: Shipwreck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was having severe anemia due to uterine fibroids and knew I was at hysterectomy stage. I went for an ultrasound and MRI for my fibroids and subsequent surgery. The ultrasound revealed a tumor on my bladder and the MRI did not. I followed up with a urologist and he thought it would be crazy for me to have a bladder tumor as I do not have any risk factors. He said the only thing was to do a cystoscopy and look to see if there truly was a tumor. I did have a tumor and had to have surgery to remove a low grade T1 extremely large tumor. I had no symptoms, no blood in the urine, only the ultrasound for other reasons discovered it. I have since had six rounds of BCG without incident. I have had two scopes since that have been clean. Every time I see my doctor he is amazed that I even have this problem as I am a healthy, active, athletic female who has never smoked. I am lucky that the ultrasound technician found the tumor on the ultrasound. I had the same ultrasound two years prior to monitor my fibroids with nothing on my bladder reported.

Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.