Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with bladder cancer.

Comment from: Never smoked, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I never smoked, never felt or saw blood in urine. Routine physical test with urine sample showed traces of blood. I have the high grade (aggressive) bladder cancer. After diagnosis, and the first urethral scraping of the bladder tumor, I am now scheduled for a second scraping, weeks later. Then, I don't know. Maybe chemotherapy or a third scraping. After that, I will see. My conclusion: get urine sample at annual physical, every time, after age 60. It's your best chance!

Comment from: pahouillon, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

In 1996 my mother in law was diagnosed with bladder cancer in emergency room due to not being able to urinate. A golf ball sized tumor had invaded the bladder wall. Yale New Haven hospital removed her bladder, did a urostomy and she underwent chemotherapy. All was well until a year later the bladder cancer showed up in the brain. At the time only one percent of bladder cancers show up in the brain. Radiation and chemotherapy were administered. She had another good year and then it showed up in her lungs. Again she had chemotherapy to relieve the issue but was considered terminal and lived for another 10 months.

Comment from: hendor6, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

My 88 year old mother was bleeding profusely for a few days while in a nursing home and was told it was a urinary tract infection. Her doctor said he would do a test next week. She ultimately died the next morning after being admitted into hospital from the emergency room. She was told the bleeding and blood clots were from radiation treatments she had gotten almost 50 years earlier and it was probably bladder cancer. I decided against an autopsy. I feel she was carelessly cared for from very early on.

Comment from: hopefull, (Patient) Published: December 22

I have been dealing with superficial bladder tumors since 1997, which return about every 6 months or so. Now the tumors have gotten bigger although superficial! I feel the carpet growth of tumors have been from the BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) treatments but I may be wrong don't know but think real hard before trying BCG!

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Two years ago I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. My left kidney was removed. After one year a tumor was discovered in my bladder. It was removed. Eight months later another was found. It was removed. Both tumors were low grade noninvasive. My doctor will be starting me on BCG treatments either today or sometime next week. Trying to have a positive attitude about it.

Comment from: reformed smoker, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I am a white male, nearly 76 years old. I smoked from ages 14 to 49. I quit cold turkey 27 years ago. After turning 75, I developed bladder cancer. So, in this narrow sense it seems like it didn't do me much good to have quit (although I wish I had never started). The medical "rules" have exceptions and it appears I am one of them. I also grew recurring polyps within three months, which can be excised at this stage but I soon have another quarterly exam which will probably not bring me any joy.

Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What led to your bladder cancer diagnosis?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.