Patient Comments: Bladder Cancer - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with bladder cancer.

Comment from: pahouillon, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

In 1996 my mother in law was diagnosed with bladder cancer in emergency room due to not being able to urinate. A golf ball sized tumor had invaded the bladder wall. Yale New Haven hospital removed her bladder, did a urostomy and she underwent chemotherapy. All was well until a year later the bladder cancer showed up in the brain. At the time only one percent of bladder cancers show up in the brain. Radiation and chemotherapy were administered. She had another good year and then it showed up in her lungs. Again she had chemotherapy to relieve the issue but was considered terminal and lived for another 10 months.

Comment from: reformed smoker, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I am a white male, nearly 76 years old. I smoked from ages 14 to 49. I quit cold turkey 27 years ago. After turning 75, I developed bladder cancer. So, in this narrow sense it seems like it didn't do me much good to have quit (although I wish I had never started). The medical "rules" have exceptions and it appears I am one of them. I also grew recurring polyps within three months, which can be excised at this stage but I soon have another quarterly exam which will probably not bring me any joy.

Bladder Cancer - Effective Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Causes or Risk Factors Question: What was the cause of your bladder cancer? Did you have any risks, like smoking?
Bladder Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What tests and exams did you have that led to a diagnosis of bladder cancer?
Bladder Cancer - Transurethral Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for bladder cancer.
Bladder Cancer - Chemotherapy Experience Question: Did you have chemotherapy to treat bladder cancer? Please describe what it was like.