- Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
- Pink Eye Slideshow Pictures
- Eyes and Eye Conditions Quiz
- Patient Comments: Black Eye - Experience
- Patient Comments: Black Eye - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Black Eye - Cause
- Find a local Doctor in your town
How can I prevent a black eye?
Black eye injury can be avoided with basic injury prevention.
- Check the home for items that might cause a fall, such as throw rugs or objects on the floor (such as toys).
- Wear the appropriate protective gear for any athletic or work-related activity.
- Wear goggles or other eye protection when working, doing yard work, or other hobbies and sports that may be injurious to the eyes.
- Wear seat belts while driving and wear helmets when riding a motorcycle.
Medically reviewed by James E Gerace, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Pulmonary Disease
Glaucoma Research Foundation; "Traumatic Glaucoma."
eMedicine.com; "Facial Trauma, Orbital Floor Fractures (Blowout)."
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health; "Retinal Detachment."
Medline Plus; "Eveitis."