How does Bitter Orange work?
Bitter orange has many chemicals that affect the nervous system. These chemicals can constrict blood vessels, increase blood pressure, and cause the heart to beat faster.
Are there safety concerns?
Bitter orange is safe when consumed as food. But bitter orange might not be safe when taken as a supplement for medical purpose such as weight loss. Bitter orange, particularly when taken with caffeine or caffeine-containing herbs, increases the risk for high blood pressure, fainting
, heart attack
, and other severe side effects.
Bitter orange can cause sensitivity to the sun. Wear sun block outside, especially if you are light-skinned.
Do not use bitter orange if:
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- You have high blood pressure.
- You have glaucoma.
- You have heart disease.
- You have an irregular heartbeat or heart arrhythmia.
- You have migraine or cluster headaches.
- You are scheduled for surgery in the next two weeks.