- Bipolar disorder vs. schizophrenia facts
- What is bipolar disorder? What is schizophrenia?
- What are causes and risk factors for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia?
- What are signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder and of schizophrenia?
- What tests do health care professionals use to diagnose bipolar disorder and schizophrenia?
- What are treatments and medications for bipolar disorder and for schizophrenia?
- What is the prognosis of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia?
What is the prognosis of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia?
Bipolar disorder sufferers tend to have mood problems up to 60% of the time but can be helped with psychotherapy and medication. Schizophrenia has a more difficult course, less so with treatment. People with either condition are at risk for developing medical problems, other mental health disorders, taking their own life, or otherwise dying younger.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, Treatment Revision. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., 2013.