Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?

Comment from: chistletoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

No doctor, therapist, hospital, or medication ever helped me at all, although I suffered their treatments for over 40 years and spent several hundred thousand dollars on them. The stigma is more harmful than the illness. The medicines have left my body permanently damaged, but fortunately not too severely. Many years ago I decided to take charge of my own life, to take responsibility for my own actions and feelings, no matter what they might be. No one around me now would ever suspect that I had ever been regarded as "crazy".

Comment from: Are, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been diagnosed with bipolar since i was 11 I have tried several times to kill myself. In and out of hospitals. The thing that I struggle with is there are no doctors and I'm not sure if I'm even taking the right medication and I always have a hard time getting my meds because of the lack of doctors here get angry when people say it's all in your head get over it. It is an unbalance in your brain at least that's my understanding. I have been in counseling, treatment. I have done everything that I can think of and look at me today still the same just learning to cope with it.

Comment from: Ebbby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I experience episodes of anger, however triggered by memories of betrayal. Usually nothing at the moment. I ruminate a lot. I am working on this area of my mind. I find myself happy for no apparent reason most of the time. I enjoy working, raising my kiddo, and being in love. My decision is that bipolar can be managed and emotions can be controlled, starting with my mind. I have never contemplated violence toward myself or anybody. Bi-polar is over diagnosed and people use this term to escape the truth. Just because a person is belligerent, violent, or explosive doesn't mean they are bipolar. They may be oppositional or anti-social. See life for what it really may be. Sometimes we have to deal with our own limitations. Always seek wisdom, God, and professional help. Thanks.

Comment from: mslainey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder just over 6 years ago. I sure wish that I had been diagnosed earlier in life, it would have made a major difference in my life. But I struggle with depression, some days it's difficult to get out of the bed. My husband travels a lot and I am alone a lot (not healthy), but I try my hardest to use self-talk and I have a small business that I am trying to grow. Living with bipolar disorder is no joke! I have never had suicidal ideations, I just would never hurt myself or my family in that way. But I struggle with this illness in ways that most people just don"t understand. I wish I didn"t have this disorder, but there are things that are worse than living with bipolar disorder that many people have to deal with daily.

Comment from: Liasis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm bipolar, mixed states. It started in my teens, my best friend and I often talked about death, I had severe depression. My mom had told me she was schizophrenic when I was young, she horribly abused me and my brothers. Fortunately, it had the effect of making me desire to never ever abuse my own kids. Memories of being tied to a chair so I'd eat, lying on a bed with blood pouring down my throat from being slapped, finding my mother (I was 8) after a suicide attempt. I never abused my kids, though I had horrible rages which I took out on things I didn't care about. I abused cocaine 12 years, then went on antidepressants. Currently untreated due to neuroleptic malignant syndrome 7 years ago.

Comment from: 6catsue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I get very high moods, and set multiple high goals, and have optimistic hopes, don't sleep so much because I feel so high being awake most of the night. Then I start declining into a disabling depression after a period of a couple of months maybe. I lose my energy, lose interest in things, lose hope, get irritable, lay around, and don't feel like doing anything.

Comment from: Angelique, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 16 turning 17 in April this year. Last year I was told I have bipolar depression. My mom thinks I should just take my pills and get over it. The last few days have been so bad that I don't want to leave bed. I have been crying my eyes out. My family has been pushing me. They don't understand me. No one does. I put on a smile just to pretend I'm okay when I'm actually not. I hate my life. So many times I have thought of suicide, but then what does it bring me? Absolutely nothing. I'm sick and tired of everything. It doesn't even feel like my medications are working for me.

Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.