Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?

Comment from: Angelique, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 16 turning 17 in April this year. Last year I was told I have bipolar depression. My mom thinks I should just take my pills and get over it. The last few days have been so bad that I don't want to leave bed. I have been crying my eyes out. My family has been pushing me. They don't understand me. No one does. I put on a smile just to pretend I'm okay when I'm actually not. I hate my life. So many times I have thought of suicide, but then what does it bring me? Absolutely nothing. I'm sick and tired of everything. It doesn't even feel like my medications are working for me.

Comment from: Disguise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am bipolar. I have good days and bad days. Bad days I am irritable, sad, can stay in bed days on end -- never wanting to leave the bed, yet alone the house. Personal hygiene is a chore for me on these days. I go to counseling, medication, exercise. Prayer helps me a lot. I have good days as well days where I am active. I force a smile most days and this drains me. I stay strong for my children because they need me. I had one stay in the hospital and I make an effort not to go back. On bad days I tell my children I am sick and my 7 year old will give me a hug and tell me he loves me, which gets me to my next day. My children have my back and I have theirs. I work, am active in the church, and my kids are active. I am a football, basketball, and dance mom. I am an ear to most of my friends because everyone thinks I am so strong, but behind closed doors I am bipolar.

Comment from: kymm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I experience anger and depression.

Comment from: Matt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

For those of you suffering with bipolar disorder, just stick with your medications and in time it will work out. I was told that I had it when I was 22. I'm now 28 and I've been taking my medications and I have really noticed a difference on how I feel. You will still have your good days and bad days, just not as intense.

Comment from: harmony, 75 or over Female Published: December 22

As a black American woman I am so tired of every problem whether mental or physical is given to blacks. This is definitely not true. There are more than likely more whites who suffer from this disorder but reporting will not reveal it. Instead reporting likes to project everything on blacks and i am tired of it.

Comment from: Pauline, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I am concerned that my 17 (soon to be 18) year old daughter is extremely bipolar. She also has a very violent temper, destroying things in the house, throwing and breaking things. I cannot seem to reason with her in anyway, she is also very lazy. I have been a single parent since day one, and she takes everything I do for granted. I work multiple jobs and she continues to demand more. Her bathroom and bedroom are totally trashed. When she looks for things in the house, if something falls out of a drawer or she moves things, she never picks up or puts things back. She is constantly fighting with me and her boyfriend. Vulgar language and destructive behavior - I am at my ropes end with her. She just graduated from high school, she is very bright but has no concern to move on. She claims she knows that she needs a job, but yet she puts forth no effort. And I am the blame for everything. I am tired of walking on egg shells in my own house, but I am worried that if I kick her out to get on her own, something bad will happen.

Comment from: Jessica, 65-74 Female Published: May 12

My husband lost his job April 2008 and with that health insurance. I just stopped taking my medications for my bipolar and have been up and down for 3 years now. It is so hard to live my life but I have to for my kids 10 and 11 years old. I stay in my house to be safe when I leave my husband is with me to protect me from my bipolar.

Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.