Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Types

Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.

Comment from: queen bee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have bipolar disorder also generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). I have intense fatigue, racing thoughts, insomnia, very little motivation, self-loathing; the list goes on and on. I've been noticing in the last few months I have developed a verbal tic. I also have started avoiding people and I don't like being away from home.as a result I don't go to a doctor. I have been on medications, but all the fun side effects keep me from them. I gained 5 lbs. I'm just going to the pharmacy to fill the Depakote. I'm at wits end so maybe I will make an appointment at the clinic. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Comment from: Mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

As a kid I grew up in poverty and as is the culture in the deep south United States, was whipped by parents and teachers for every thing. I joined the military at 19 years old and was hospitalized while in the military for psychotic symptoms, extreme fatigue and auditory and visual hallucinations. At 38 years old I was finally diagnosed with bipolar disorder. My father has schizophrenia and has been on meds for years. So I had the family history, and stress associated with poverty and military life that finally broke me. In live in Germany now with my second wife and children. I am taking 600 miligrams of seroquel, ( quetiapine) daily.

Comment from: recover24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have bipolar 1. I have experienced highs and lows. Things that have helped include counseling, a structured routine, emotional support, and medication (Prozac & lithium) to keep me stable.

Comment from: timi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I get angry for no reason, and I lash out at people. Then suddenly, I'm happy again.

Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?
Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?