Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks

Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.

Comment from: kimcon22000, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a mental health therapist who has suffered from depression since I was a child. In 1973, there were no bipolar or manic depressive disorders. So I was prescribed Ritalin and diagnosed as ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). My mother said it helped greatly in my behaviors and concentration span. In my early 20s I was diagnosed as depressed and took (and still take) 200 mg of sertraline daily. This is what is strange; last year I was diagnosed as bipolar. Against current medical literature, my depression manifested itself into bipolar disorder. I have been on clonazepam 3, trazodone, Zoloft and oxcarbazepine 3 daily. This cocktail has worked minimally and now I will throw Seroquel into the mix. I'd love to try Abilify as to what I have read from others, yet the expense! I may have to. Good luck to all and never give up.

Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?
Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.