Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

A Doctor's View on Catherine Zeta-Jones: A Case of Bipolar II Disorder

Read the Comment by Roxanne Dryden-Edwards, MD

Famous actress Catherine Zeta-Jones put a face on the mental illness of bipolar II disorder when she announced she was seeking treatment in 2011. Bipolar II disorder include symptoms like:

• mood swings,
  • depression,
  • anxiety, and
  • hypomania
Treatment for Bipolar II disorder includes medication and psychotherapy. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: derrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I'm a 39 year old father of two. Although I've only just properly understood what mental health is, I've experienced anxiety and depression my entire life it seems, which has been further complicated by the suspected Asperger's (high functioning autism) and ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder) that I'm halfway through diagnosis for. I've lived a very confused existence because of my bipolar disorder, not truly knowing who I am and being very insecure about why I feel and act the way I do. I've been addicted to most drugs and alcohol, I've also had problems with overeating and binging whether it be with substances or food. I have physical health problems caused by my binge drinking and unhealthy lifestyle. I'm now totally free of these addictions and my liver has started to reverse. Over the years I've had serious accidents, fights, lost jobs, fallen out with countless people and had problems integrating into society and dealing with life as a whole. Throughout most of my existence I've always preferred to be isolated and away from society, as a coping mechanism for my insecurities and mainly because I tend not to get into misunderstandings when I'm on my own. In 2014 I started a painful journey to the present day which ultimately ended in destruction of everything I cared about. During this time I had several breakdowns and became unable to communicate, which resulted in self-referring myself to my general physician for help to find out why I wasn't coping. This then led me on the path to the present day with over 30 hours of counselling and 12 separate consultations later, I'm finally starting to get the answers to what has been going on in my life and giving me closure on many things I've lived a life of confusion about. Ironically, I now feel the best I've ever felt about myself but have been left with a total mess of a life to look back and reflect on, with plenty of confusion and an inability to function some days. Since December 2016, I have totally transformed my life in many areas that were causing me serious struggles before. Talking is key, I cannot emphasize this enough. If I'd been able to talk years ago I wouldn't have needed to suffer and nor would the people around me.

Comment from: Bipolar Disorder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

Aged sixty-three, I am a patient of GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), major depression, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, migraine, phobia, insomnia, manic and bipolar disorder. For ten years, I have taken lorazepam, Librium, escitalopram, lots of alprazolam, Libotryp, quetiapine, sertraline, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline and nortriptyline. I am a diabetic and I also suffer from hyperdyslipidemia. During the period, I lacked minimum energy and remained confined to bed most of the time. Since the cause was exogenous more than endogenous and there was no change in the causes, I have now given up taking drugs. I only take sertraline 50mg, Ativan 2mg, mirtazapine 15mg and Librium 25 mg, one each before dinner. I feel better now.

Comment from: Mrytle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am 66 years old and became ill with bipolar in 1973. While raising my children I had many depressions and two psychotic breaks when I had to be hospitalized. However I was not given the diagnosis of bipolar until 1987. There were few effective medications available back then. One hospital I was in (1977) did not believe in giving medications at all. Since 2000 I have been fairly stable with minimum drugs of Depakote, Lamictal, Remeron and Ativan for sleep. I have had a lot of therapy by way of group and individual.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests were used to diagnose bipolar disorder in yourself or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.