Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

Comment from: Bipolar Disorder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

Aged sixty-three, I am a patient of GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), major depression, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, migraine, phobia, insomnia, manic and bipolar disorder. For ten years, I have taken lorazepam, Librium, escitalopram, lots of alprazolam, Libotryp, quetiapine, sertraline, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline and nortriptyline. I am a diabetic and I also suffer from hyperdyslipidemia. During the period, I lacked minimum energy and remained confined to bed most of the time. Since the cause was exogenous more than endogenous and there was no change in the causes, I have now given up taking drugs. I only take sertraline 50mg, Ativan 2mg, mirtazapine 15mg and Librium 25 mg, one each before dinner. I feel better now.

Comment from: Mrytle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am 66 years old and became ill with bipolar in 1973. While raising my children I had many depressions and two psychotic breaks when I had to be hospitalized. However I was not given the diagnosis of bipolar until 1987. There were few effective medications available back then. One hospital I was in (1977) did not believe in giving medications at all. Since 2000 I have been fairly stable with minimum drugs of Depakote, Lamictal, Remeron and Ativan for sleep. I have had a lot of therapy by way of group and individual.

Comment from: benny81530, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bipolar disorder that has controlled my life for many years. I did many things that were risky and out of control. In the last year, I have gotten it under control. The main thing I did to change it was to quit taking Klonopin, as it only added to my manic episodes. I did this by myself. Soon after I quit taking it, I began to realize that I had to get my bipolar mania under control. My doctor gave me Geodon along with my other medications, and it has worked well. I now take lithium 300 mg, two times a day; trazadone 100 mg, two times a day; Geodon 80 mg, three times a day; and Effexor 150 mg, once a day. For more than a year now, I have been feeling real good with no manic episodes. I take my medications faithfully and continue to see my doctor every month. Whatever you do, don't stop taking your medication thinking that you don't need it.

Comment from: justadad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Hi Confused, I just read this today. I hope you are still following this site. I feel some of your helplessness. Hang in there! We have someone in our family about your age with bipolar disorder, who is also getting angrier. I only have some suggestions you"ve probably read a million times, regular rest, eat healthy and exercise. Please don"t use cannabis. It won"t help. Also if you could get some thorough testing on blood, all those pH balances, amino acids and all that stuff. Maybe there is a clue in there somewhere. You"re not alone.

Comment from: dma318, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have bi-polar disorder. I have been on so many different pills I can't count anymore. I was on Abilify and was doing wonderful. Then my insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore without prior approval. So now we just try the Zoloft.

Comment from: Yahoo, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 01

Bipolar disorder is only helped if you get a functional MD to test for your body's imbalances and your amino acid deficiencies. My wife was diagnosed as bipolar and we found out she was lacking five amino acids and three were below normal. She has been drug free for three years now, but she is on an amino acid supplement mixture that is formulated just for her. It is working well. She also has 83 food allergies that also have an effect on her emotions. We found all of this out when she was diagnosed with an H. pylori infection. If you have bipolar disorder, get tested to see what your body is lacking because all the drugs that are mood stabilizers don't work. They are just a band aid they will work sometimes but you will have to change meds just like a band aid. The meds would help my wife for a few months and then they would stop working. She was on every one out there. After realizing the facts we had to fix the problem and stop using band aid drugs.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.