Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

A Doctor's View on Catherine Zeta-Jones: A Case of Bipolar II Disorder

Read the Comment by Roxanne Dryden-Edwards, MD

Famous actress Catherine Zeta-Jones put a face on the mental illness of bipolar II disorder when she announced she was seeking treatment in 2011. Bipolar II disorder include symptoms like:

• mood swings,
  • depression,
  • anxiety, and
  • hypomania
Treatment for Bipolar II disorder includes medication and psychotherapy. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: butderflies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 35 year old mom whom works full time. I suffered a terrible child and adult life. I was placed on lithium, and did wonderful. So I thought it was "gone.� I stopped taking it. I did alright for a while. Then I recently noticed it was back. I know that it really will be with me the rest of my life. I am back on lithium, life is back on track.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

We realized I was bipolar after I was put on Paxil for depression (I'd been cutting and my parents found out). Sure enough the Paxil made me go suicidal and my mom decided to pull strings. She got me and appointment to see the best psychologist around (wait list 3 years, I got in 3 weeks). I'm on 500 mg of Depakote twice a day, take one omega Brite capsule in the morning 2 at night Lamictal in the morning. Vitamin B6 and some others I forget.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been on so many medications for my bi polar I was on Adderall for ADD that helped for a while, but it made me manic, so I now take Klonopin and Geodon and Trazodone and Clonidine for my Tourette syndrome they seem to have me under control, but I take them exactly as prescribed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My wife had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and manic depression. Which I now realize are the same thing. I love her very much. She had been in in-patient treatment twice and this last time they put her on Geodon. It had made her more manic than ever before. We are going to MHMR today and see if they can help. It is getting to where I don't know how to act around her. She seems to go off about the smallest thing. I am not very computer savvy and I don't know how I would go about finding a chat room for people in our situation.

Comment from: heatherjo1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm a 35yr old female who has had bipolar disorder for years now. At one time I was so over medicated that my husband now doesn't want me to take meds. I take Xanax 3 times a day and that help with anxiety but the manic periods are getting out of control. I have been tried on several medications but without insurance it's so had to get help. I'm loosing my marriage my best friend and my life because of all of this. I had a hysto. 2yrs ago and that doesn't help either. I feel lost.

Comment from: Bahador, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm 21 years old, I'm a Bipolar Disorder and it's been 6 years I do treatment under control of a psychiatrist. During that days (except last 3 months) I used Lithium 300 twice a day, Onalnzapyn 10 once a day, chlordiazepoxide 10 twice a day, Lamotrigine 50 once a day, Haloperidol 0.5 once a day. But during these last months I just use Mirtazapine 45mg once a day and Olanzapine 5 once a day.

Comment from: mandy81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 27 year old female who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am struggling big time with it and have been for years. I feel like it has taken over my life. I have been in and out of hospitals and treatments and have not yet found anything that works for me. I am currently seeking options on different meds to try as of right now I am taking Prozac and Zyprexa I just started that yesterday so I guess I will give it a try.

Published: July 28

I think my bipolar disorder has been treated best with Lamictal 200mg in the morning, Lexapro 10mg in the morning, and Seroquel 300mg at bedtime. Along with keeping therapy appointments and seeing the psychiatrist, I have found this to be the best for me so far.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests were used to diagnose bipolar disorder in yourself or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.