Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

Comment from: bettyc , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have Manic Depressive Bi-Polar and severe anxiety! I just started taking the Zyprexa along with all my other medications---Zyprexa 10 mg before bed--Klonopin 1mg 4 times per day---Wellbutrin 300 mg. 1 time a day---Wellbutrin 150 mg. 1 time per day---Lithium 300 mg 2 times a day and the Zyprexa 10 mg at bedtime. I am feeling better it seems since I have been on Zyprexa combined with my other meds. It's difficult to explain mental illness to someone who has never experienced it. I had it all my life. You wouldn't even know it, if you saw me and spoke to me. Maybe you would if I wasn't on my meds from my psychiatrist who I see along with a Therapist once every 2 months for about 5 or 6 years now. I can't give up on myself; I am 51 years old with 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren. But it can at times be so very, very disabling, you must seek good help and take your meds correctly, if you feel the same or better always tell your psychiatrist!

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Lithicarb and Zyprexa seem to keep me stable with my bipolar disorder. I have had four times in hospital over 23 years.

Comment from: silkclay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been bipolar or formally known as manic depressive since 1979. There have been many drugs and many treatments along the way. Now they have it almost right. I have been on Depakote, Xanax and Seroquel for quite some time. I am now looking for a new antidepressant medication.

Comment from: emrt164, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My nine year old son was diagnosed as bipolar a little over a year ago. His pediatrician first diagnosed him as ADHD and prescribed Concerta. This made the mood swings 100 times worse. I requested a referral to a psychiatrist. My son was immediately put on Lamictal which seemed to help for a while but gradually stopped working. We added Zoloft which seemed to help but made him very sleepy and inattentive. We have been on Abilify 5mg and Prozac 10mg for well over 6 months and it has made a tremendous difference. The Prozac was also making him sleepy in the afternoons so we changed to taking it at night and that seems to have done the trick. But all in all Abilify seems to have have it under control... it is definitely a miracle drug.

Comment from: stephypants, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have recently been diagnosed with Cyclothymic disorder. For the past 10 years I thought I was just flat out bipolar. Either way, I found a medication that works wonders! No weight gain, none of the side effects other meds give. It is called Abilify. It is very expensive if one does not have insurance though. But it works, and you will be able to notice the difference within 2-4 days. I have the worst issue with weight. Since I started Abilify I went from 140 lbs. to 120 lbs. with healthy eating and 30 min. of cardio per day. I have kept it off. This truly is the miracle pill.

Comment from: qwerty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been up and down for years and in lots of trouble in one way or another. On the flip side I have a lovely home and two brilliant well grounded kids. It is like living a double life in lots of ways. I am a loving devoted father that runs a very profitable business dealing with people on a day to day business. Outsiders think you are doing well. Inside I feel lonely, that I am on my own. A lot of times I feel like a tramp, a loser. No one else understands. I have been on Sertraline for about 3 months but my lifestyle has not changed and I don't really know if it's working. What I did do, was had a holiday in Majorca last week and I have got to tell it felt so good to drop the norm, and then again, I suppose that's what holidays are for.

Published: June 13

My bipolar depression, which I have had since age 11 has been treated the best with Seroquel 300 mg 2 at bedtime. Trazodone 300 mg at bedtime, Trileptal 300 mg at bedtime, and Topamax 200 mg in the morning. I t took a while to figure out the perfect cocktail of meds but for the past several years it has worked extremely well. I also found going thru menopause made it difficult to establish a consistency with my meds. I now feel great.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests were used to diagnose bipolar disorder in yourself or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.