Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

Comment from: stephypants, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have recently been diagnosed with Cyclothymic disorder. For the past 10 years I thought I was just flat out bipolar. Either way, I found a medication that works wonders! No weight gain, none of the side effects other meds give. It is called Abilify. It is very expensive if one does not have insurance though. But it works, and you will be able to notice the difference within 2-4 days. I have the worst issue with weight. Since I started Abilify I went from 140 lbs. to 120 lbs. with healthy eating and 30 min. of cardio per day. I have kept it off. This truly is the miracle pill.

Comment from: qwerty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been up and down for years and in lots of trouble in one way or another. On the flip side I have a lovely home and two brilliant well grounded kids. It is like living a double life in lots of ways. I am a loving devoted father that runs a very profitable business dealing with people on a day to day business. Outsiders think you are doing well. Inside I feel lonely, that I am on my own. A lot of times I feel like a tramp, a loser. No one else understands. I have been on Sertraline for about 3 months but my lifestyle has not changed and I don't really know if it's working. What I did do, was had a holiday in Majorca last week and I have got to tell it felt so good to drop the norm, and then again, I suppose that's what holidays are for.

Published: June 13

My bipolar depression, which I have had since age 11 has been treated the best with Seroquel 300 mg 2 at bedtime. Trazodone 300 mg at bedtime, Trileptal 300 mg at bedtime, and Topamax 200 mg in the morning. I t took a while to figure out the perfect cocktail of meds but for the past several years it has worked extremely well. I also found going thru menopause made it difficult to establish a consistency with my meds. I now feel great.

Comment from: butderflies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 35 year old mom whom works full time. I suffered a terrible child and adult life. I was placed on lithium, and did wonderful. So I thought it was "gone.” I stopped taking it. I did alright for a while. Then I recently noticed it was back. I know that it really will be with me the rest of my life. I am back on lithium, life is back on track.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

We realized I was bipolar after I was put on Paxil for depression (I'd been cutting and my parents found out). Sure enough the Paxil made me go suicidal and my mom decided to pull strings. She got me and appointment to see the best psychologist around (wait list 3 years, I got in 3 weeks). I'm on 500 mg of Depakote twice a day, take one omega Brite capsule in the morning 2 at night Lamictal in the morning. Vitamin B6 and some others I forget.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been on so many medications for my bi polar I was on Adderall for ADD that helped for a while, but it made me manic, so I now take Klonopin and Geodon and Trazodone and Clonidine for my Tourette syndrome they seem to have me under control, but I take them exactly as prescribed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My wife had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and manic depression. Which I now realize are the same thing. I love her very much. She had been in in-patient treatment twice and this last time they put her on Geodon. It had made her more manic than ever before. We are going to MHMR today and see if they can help. It is getting to where I don't know how to act around her. She seems to go off about the smallest thing. I am not very computer savvy and I don't know how I would go about finding a chat room for people in our situation.

Comment from: heatherjo1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm a 35yr old female who has had bipolar disorder for years now. At one time I was so over medicated that my husband now doesn't want me to take meds. I take Xanax 3 times a day and that help with anxiety but the manic periods are getting out of control. I have been tried on several medications but without insurance it's so had to get help. I'm loosing my marriage my best friend and my life because of all of this. I had a hysto. 2yrs ago and that doesn't help either. I feel lost.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.