Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

Comment from: confused, 25-34 Female Published: October 15

I am a 28 yr old female I am manic depressive, bipolar, PSTD, and syncopic (I hear voices) my anger has been getting worse harder to face everyday I need help pills don't help I am a self medicator I smoke cannabis. I can't function I have started to have panic attacks more often than ever before I am become more afraid and more angry as I get older The most recent med. I was given was Remeron 30 MG at night it only helped for about 3 weeks then I was back where I started I just want to be normal I feel like such an outsider even with my own friends more and more what can I do?

Comment from: cvxtxmn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

For my bipolar disorder, I take 500 mg of Depakote twice a day, Lithium twice a day, one Ambien at bedtime, Lamictal once a day, and Dextroamphetamine twice a day, which is a concentration enabler. I have very angry moments for two to three days at home when I am with my wife, but away, I seem manageable. I have a very high sex drive that led to an affair, which was the biggest mistake ever.

Comment from: Tdevost, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was prescribed Abilify (5 mg) for my bipolar disorder. It has worked tremendously for me! I have not experienced any side affects, which is great. I also take Zoloft (150 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg).

Comment from: rylansmama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I realized I had bipolar disorder when my son was about 6 months old. I was feeling very good at the time, able to accomplish so much. I slept little and still had so much energy. My mind was constantly going. I would get upset easily at my husband for small things. I finally was reading an article about bipolar and what the symptoms were. I recognized that this was me. I went to my doctor, and that began my search for the right medication to help me be balanced. I realized that the really good feeling would not last forever, and I would crash into a deep depression that I had experienced in the past. I knew I wouldn't be able to care for my son if I was that depressed again, so I wanted to treat this to stay as healthy as possible. I tried different things, but eventually a psychiatrist prescribed Lamictal and Lexapro. I have been taking my medications for five years, and I can definitely see a big difference.

Comment from: bettyc , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have Manic Depressive Bi-Polar and severe anxiety! I just started taking the Zyprexa along with all my other medications---Zyprexa 10 mg before bed--Klonopin 1mg 4 times per day---Wellbutrin 300 mg. 1 time a day---Wellbutrin 150 mg. 1 time per day---Lithium 300 mg 2 times a day and the Zyprexa 10 mg at bedtime. I am feeling better it seems since I have been on Zyprexa combined with my other meds. It's difficult to explain mental illness to someone who has never experienced it. I had it all my life. You wouldn't even know it, if you saw me and spoke to me. Maybe you would if I wasn't on my meds from my psychiatrist who I see along with a Therapist once every 2 months for about 5 or 6 years now. I can't give up on myself; I am 51 years old with 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren. But it can at times be so very, very disabling, you must seek good help and take your meds correctly, if you feel the same or better always tell your psychiatrist!

Comment from: Paula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Lithicarb and Zyprexa seem to keep me stable with my bipolar disorder. I have had four times in hospital over 23 years.

Comment from: silkclay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been bipolar or formally known as manic depressive since 1979. There have been many drugs and many treatments along the way. Now they have it almost right. I have been on Depakote, Xanax and Seroquel for quite some time. I am now looking for a new antidepressant medication.

Comment from: emrt164, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My nine year old son was diagnosed as bipolar a little over a year ago. His pediatrician first diagnosed him as ADHD and prescribed Concerta. This made the mood swings 100 times worse. I requested a referral to a psychiatrist. My son was immediately put on Lamictal which seemed to help for a while but gradually stopped working. We added Zoloft which seemed to help but made him very sleepy and inattentive. We have been on Abilify 5mg and Prozac 10mg for well over 6 months and it has made a tremendous difference. The Prozac was also making him sleepy in the afternoons so we changed to taking it at night and that seems to have done the trick. But all in all Abilify seems to have have it under control... it is definitely a miracle drug.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests and assessments led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in you or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.