Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

A Doctor's View on Catherine Zeta-Jones: A Case of Bipolar II Disorder

Read the Comment by Roxanne Dryden-Edwards, MD

Famous actress Catherine Zeta-Jones put a face on the mental illness of bipolar II disorder when she announced she was seeking treatment in 2011. Bipolar II disorder include symptoms like:

• mood swings,
  • depression,
  • anxiety, and
  • hypomania
Treatment for Bipolar II disorder includes medication and psychotherapy. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: justadad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Hi Confused, I just read this today. I hope you are still following this site. I feel some of your helplessness. Hang in there! We have someone in our family about your age with bipolar disorder, who is also getting angrier. I only have some suggestions you"ve probably read a million times, regular rest, eat healthy and exercise. Please don"t use cannabis. It won"t help. Also if you could get some thorough testing on blood, all those pH balances, amino acids and all that stuff. Maybe there is a clue in there somewhere. You"re not alone.

Comment from: dma318, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have bi-polar disorder. I have been on so many different pills I can't count anymore. I was on Abilify and was doing wonderful. Then my insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore without prior approval. So now we just try the Zoloft.

Comment from: Yahoo, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 01

Bipolar disorder is only helped if you get a functional MD to test for your body's imbalances and your amino acid deficiencies. My wife was diagnosed as bipolar and we found out she was lacking five amino acids and three were below normal. She has been drug free for three years now, but she is on an amino acid supplement mixture that is formulated just for her. It is working well. She also has 83 food allergies that also have an effect on her emotions. We found all of this out when she was diagnosed with an H. pylori infection. If you have bipolar disorder, get tested to see what your body is lacking because all the drugs that are mood stabilizers don't work. They are just a band aid they will work sometimes but you will have to change meds just like a band aid. The meds would help my wife for a few months and then they would stop working. She was on every one out there. After realizing the facts we had to fix the problem and stop using band aid drugs.

Comment from: confused, 25-34 Female Published: October 15

I am a 28 yr old female I am manic depressive, bipolar, PSTD, and syncopic (I hear voices) my anger has been getting worse harder to face everyday I need help pills don't help I am a self medicator I smoke cannabis. I can't function I have started to have panic attacks more often than ever before I am become more afraid and more angry as I get older The most recent med. I was given was Remeron 30 MG at night it only helped for about 3 weeks then I was back where I started I just want to be normal I feel like such an outsider even with my own friends more and more what can I do?

Comment from: cvxtxmn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

For my bipolar disorder, I take 500 mg of Depakote twice a day, Lithium twice a day, one Ambien at bedtime, Lamictal once a day, and Dextroamphetamine twice a day, which is a concentration enabler. I have very angry moments for two to three days at home when I am with my wife, but away, I seem manageable. I have a very high sex drive that led to an affair, which was the biggest mistake ever.

Comment from: Tdevost, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was prescribed Abilify (5 mg) for my bipolar disorder. It has worked tremendously for me! I have not experienced any side affects, which is great. I also take Zoloft (150 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg).

Comment from: rylansmama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I realized I had bipolar disorder when my son was about 6 months old. I was feeling very good at the time, able to accomplish so much. I slept little and still had so much energy. My mind was constantly going. I would get upset easily at my husband for small things. I finally was reading an article about bipolar and what the symptoms were. I recognized that this was me. I went to my doctor, and that began my search for the right medication to help me be balanced. I realized that the really good feeling would not last forever, and I would crash into a deep depression that I had experienced in the past. I knew I wouldn't be able to care for my son if I was that depressed again, so I wanted to treat this to stay as healthy as possible. I tried different things, but eventually a psychiatrist prescribed Lamictal and Lexapro. I have been taking my medications for five years, and I can definitely see a big difference.

Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: Were you at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Please share your story.
Bipolar Disorder - Diagnosis Question: What tests were used to diagnose bipolar disorder in yourself or a relative?
Bipolar Disorder - Support Question: What forms of support have helped you or a relative who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder?
Bipolar Disorder - Types Question: Describe your type of bipolar disorder, along with your symptoms and treatment.