- Bipolar Disorder Slideshow Pictures
- Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz
- Depression Tips Slideshow
- Bipolar Disorder (Mania) FAQs
- Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments
- Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Causes and Risks
- Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Support
- Patient Comments: Bipolar Disorder - Types
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
- Bipolar disorder facts
- What is bipolar disorder?
- What is the history of bipolar disorder?
- What are the types of bipolar disorder?
- What are bipolar disorder causes and risk factors?
- What are bipolar disorder symptoms and signs in adults, teenagers, and children?
- What tests do health care professionals use to diagnose bipolar disorder?
- What illnesses coexist with bipolar disorder?
- What are bipolar disorder medications and other treatments? Are there any home remedies or alternative treatments for bipolar disorder?
- How is bipolar disorder treated during pregnancy and the postpartum period?
- What are complications and the prognosis/effects over time of bipolar disorder?
- Is it possible to prevent bipolar disorder?
- Where can people find more information about bipolar disorder, bipolar disorder support groups, and doctors who treat it?
- Where can people find support to help them or someone they know cope with bipolar disorder?
Quick GuideBipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Is it possible to prevent bipolar disorder?
While far more seems to be known about the prevention of symptoms of bipolar disorder following its diagnosis, there is emerging research about ways to attempt to decrease the development of the full-blown disease altogether. For example, when family focused therapy is provided to children who have more subtle symptoms preceding bipolar disorder and who have bipolar relatives, they may be less likely to develop the full-blown disorder as adults.
Where can people find more information about bipolar disorder, bipolar disorder support groups, and doctors who treat it?
Depression and Related Affective Disorders Association
2330 West Joppa Road, Suite 100
Lutherville, MD 21093
National Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health
9605 Medical Center Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
3803 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 100
Arlington, VA 22203
Member services: 888-999-NAMI (6264)
National Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
730 N. Franklin Street, Suite 501
Chicago, Illinois 60654-7225
National Foundation for Depressive Illness, Inc.
PO Box 2257
New York, NY 10116
National Institute of Mental Health
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Mental Health America
2000 N. Beauregard Street, 6th Floor
Alexandria, VA 22311
Toll free: 800-969-6642