- Dementia Slideshow Pictures
- Take the ADHD Quiz
- Brain Foods Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Binswanger's Disease - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Binswanger's Disease - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Binswanger's Disease - Diagnosis
- Find a local Neurologist in your town
Quick GuideDementia, Alzheimer's, and Aging BrainsĀ
How is Binswanger's disease diagnosed?
Brain imaging, which reveals the characteristic brain lesions of Binswanger's disease, is essential for a positive diagnosis.
Is there any treatment for Binswanger's disease?
There is no specific course of treatment for Binswanger's disease. Treatment is symptomatic.
- People with depression or
anxiety may require antidepressant medications such as the serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
- Atypical antipsychotic drugs, such as
olanzapine, can be useful in individuals with agitation and disruptive behavior.
- Recent drug trials with the drug
memantine have shown improved cognition and stabilization of global functioning and behavior.
- The successful management of
diabetes can slow the progression of atherosclerosis, and subsequently slow the progress of
- Because there is no cure, the best treatment is preventive, early in the adult years, by controlling risk factors such as hypertension, diabetes, and smoking.