- Dementia Slideshow Pictures
- Take the ADHD Quiz
- Brain Foods Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Binswanger's Disease - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Binswanger's Disease - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Binswanger's Disease - Diagnosis
- Find a local Neurologist in your town
Quick GuideDementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
How is Binswanger's disease diagnosed?
Brain imaging, which reveals the characteristic brain lesions of Binswanger's disease, is essential for a positive diagnosis.
Is there any treatment for Binswanger's disease?
There is no specific course of treatment for Binswanger's disease. Treatment is symptomatic.
- People with depression or
anxiety may require antidepressant medications such as the serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
- Atypical antipsychotic drugs, such as
olanzapine, can be useful in individuals with agitation and disruptive behavior.
- Recent drug trials with the drug
memantine have shown improved cognition and stabilization of global functioning and behavior.
- The successful management of
diabetes can slow the progression of atherosclerosis, and subsequently slow the progress of
- Because there is no cure, the best treatment is preventive, early in the adult years, by controlling risk factors such as hypertension, diabetes, and smoking.