Patient Comments: Beta Thalassemia - Share Your Experience

Do you or a relative have beta thalassemia? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Mizachism, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My son was diagnosed with beta thalassemia 2 years ago but this has not stopped him. He is an active teenager, on the swim team in high school, but recently I have noticed he needs to take a power nap after he gets home from school. I wonder if I should make an appointment with a hematologist that knows about thalassemia just to have a baseline.

Comment from: kushakue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my son back in 2004, his pediatrician told us that he had the trait; just that he can't run for long or ever climb mountains. Then I just recently was told that I have a hint of beta thalassemia when I had some lab work done. It has been about 2 weeks now. And since then, I've been getting dizzy a lot more than before. I wonder if that is due to having beta thalassemia. Also, I was told that I have hypothyroid on top of that.

Beta Thalassemia - Symptoms Question: Please describe your beta thalassemia symptoms.