- Finding Relief for Your Cough Slideshow
- Take the Cold & Flu Quiz
- Cold & Flu Slideshow: Treating Your Child's Cold or Fever
- What is benzonatate, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for benzonatate?
- Is benzonatate available as a generic drug?
- What are the uses for benzonatate?
- What are the side effects of benzonatate?
- What is the dosage for benzonatate?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with benzonatate?
- Is benzonatate safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about benzonatate?
What is the dosage for benzonatate?
- The usual dose of benzonatate is 100-200 mg three times daily as needed for cough.
- A maximum dose of 600 mg (3-6 capsules depending on the strength of the capsule) per day is recommended by the manufacturer.
- Capsules should be swallowed whole and they should not be sucked, broken, or chewed.
Which drugs or supplements interact with benzonatate?
There are no known drug interactions with benzonatate.
Quick GuideTips to Calm Your Cough in Pictures
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.