- Causes of Fatigue Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Sleep Quiz
- Foods That Help or Harm Your Sleep Slideshow Pictures
- What are benzodiazepines and for what conditions are they prescribed?
- What are examples of benzodiazepines available in the US?
- What are the side effects of benzodiazepines?
- What drugs interact with benzodiazepines?
- What formulations of benzodiazepines are available?
- What about taking benzodiazepines during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What are the side effects of benzodiazepines?
Common side effects of benzodiazepines are:
- Memory impairment
- Improper body balance
- Increase or decrease in appetite
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Reduced libido
Serious side effects of benzodiazepines include:
- Respiratory depression
- Dependence and abuse
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Slow heart rate
- Severe low blood pressure
Quick GuideSleep Disorders Pictures Slideshow: A Visual Guide to Sleeping Disorders
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.