Patient Comments: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Treatments

Were you treated for prostatic hyperplasia? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: laurakim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 09

My husband and I took a trip down to Panama, and, while stepping into a large wooden dugout canoe, I slipped and fell hard. It happened so fast that I'm not really sure what way my right foot went, but I do know that it was the wrong way. I heard the pop, and was concerned about my knee, as I had recently had a right knee replacement. Oddly, I had no ankle pain at all, it was totally numb. As soon as I tried to get up, I realized that my foot was flopping around like it wasn't attached. I reached down and forced my ankle bone to go back in place (still no pain) and then instructed the people who were with us how to make a splint out of the Mae West life jacket I had been wearing. This worked very well to keep my ankle stabilized for the 2 hour drive back to civilization. Thirty hours later I was in the emergency room in my home town. All this occurred on 2/12/16. Today is 5/5/16, and I just got my walking cast off 2 days ago. I still have 4 weeks of physical therapy to go, and then it's all up to me to keep going. I know it's still going to be a while before I can walk normally again. What I can't believe is that through the whole ordeal, especially before I had surgery, there was no pain. My foot stayed numb during the ordeal of flying back to the states. I am thankful for that.

Comment from: Jack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I am a first time patient with BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). Medicine prescribed is Cipro 500 mg taken one tablet every 12 hours. Now after 4 tablets (2 days) there is no change in difficult urination. I wonder if I am asking too much in 48 hours.

Comment from: GarryInNola, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

My doctor suggested that twice weekly ejaculations can help prevent or reversebenign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). I realize that can be difficult to achieve for men of a certain age but it doesn't matter whether it's masturbation or actual intercourse, as long as you achieve an ejaculation twice weekly it can be therapeutic in this regard. Erectile dysfunction drugs can be helpful in achieving an erection so you can have twice weekly ejaculations.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 03

My post-void residue is 600 ml, with mild symptoms of prostatic hyperplasia. My doctor suggests Proscar therapy.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I got moderate enlargement of Prostate gland. Urine flow is normal; I get no pain at all. Residue in the bladder after urination is also nil. Doctor now put me on Urimax 0.4 mg and after using my problem is agitated. Earlier I used to go to bath room at night once or twice, now after medication almost 6 times I have to go during night.

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Diagnosis and Experience Question: Were you or a relative diagnosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia? How was it discovered?