Patient Comments: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Diagnosis and Experience

Were you or a relative diagnosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia? How was it discovered?

Comment from: RosOtto, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I am a 69 year old male with severe benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), diagnosed 25 years ago. PSA runs between 25 and 50. I have had several biopsies, numerous cystograms, MRIs, etc., with no signs of cancer. I have family history of prostate cancer, father, grandfather and brother. My urologist recently put me on Proscar which seems to help nocturia but I still have some urgency problems and once every 3 to 4 months I experience retention issues for which I have to self-catheterization (not very pleasant but gets the job done without going to the Urgent Care facility).

Comment from: tom fin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I worked in the coal mines for 24 years and then had a head on collision with a double decker bus. I was off work for 18 months, then the problems started with urinating. After 3 weeks I was in agony straining to force a dribble of urine. The doctor sent me to hospital my consultant said I had an enlarged prostate I had the camera inserted and was told it was benign prostatic hyperplasia. I also had erectile dysfunction. I found it hard to write due to my stroke 3 years ago.

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - Treatments Question: Were you treated for prostatic hyperplasia? Please describe your experience.