Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: JAW, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got stung by a queen bee that flew into a moving car back in the spring. It stung three times in my right leg, around the ankle and thigh (it flew up my pants). There was swelling and burning for a few hours and I'm not allergic to bees, but since the incident there's pain in my ankle specifically when I rotate it and sometimes there's sharp pains that shoot to my knee when I stand up.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: JPArch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I disturbed a ground nest of yellow jackets. They swarmed me and stung me 5 or 7 times. However, one of the stings on my leg near the ankle feels like a jagged knife is cutting me, even 8 hours later. Then it will just pierce me in pain, then go back to feeling like a laceration. Totally surprised by how much these stings hurt, so many hours later.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: DSW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was sitting on my legs pulling weeds in the garden when I was stung through my jeans on the inside of my knee by a small bumble bee. These bees had been aggressive all summer stinging me before and stinging my dog, both unprovoked. The first time I was stung in the back. It swelled to the size of a baseball, was painful, red and hot, but went away after a week. The sting on my leg was not near as painful and swelling, and went away in two days. That was two months ago and I have severe pain in that area when I try to bend my leg or when I first stand up after sleeping or sitting. There is no sign of swelling or redness. I am not sure what to do about it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: easttxmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A red wasp stung me on the inside of my thumb. I immediately put ice on it and some OTC itch medicine. I don't have allergies, but my thumb was very red and swollen and seemed to be worse the 2nd day. I made a paste of apple cider vinegar and corn starch and kept that on my thumb for 2 days wrapped in gauze. The spot turned purple like a bruise and today is day 5. I can move my thumb, touch it without pain, and the swelling is almost gone, finally! Aloe vera plant seemed to help a lot also. Take care around hanging plants; it was lurking in my Boston fern when it got me!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: MoodyMonkeeMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I accidentally disturbed a nest of yellow jackets and received 7 stings. Most were very painful, however 2 of them were agonizing. They were located on the inside of my foot. I had 2 other stings on that foot as well. Nothing relieved the excruciating pain and after 5 hours of suffering I went to the emergency room where I of course waited another 2 hours before receiving any treatment. Two heavy duty prescription pain pills and numbing cream only took the worst edge off and I was able to sleep that night intermittently. They said I am not allergic, however my brother is and was rendered unconscious one time. All the other stings' pain was manageable, not sure why those two were so bad. Next day, it is still painful and itchy but much more normal.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I stupidly sprayed a wasp nest underneath the ivy in my chimney and while the insects came out and were buzzing around me, I had no idea that they could attack 90 an miles hour in a straight line. I felt like I was shot with a bullet in the neck. It was painful the first day, but seemed better the next. The third day it was red, throbbing and swollen 6 inches in diameter all around the sting. I went to urgent care and they put me on antibiotics and steroids. It has been 8 hours and nothing changed. I am hoping to be better in 24 hours. It seems so ridiculous and the wasp nest is still there. They told me to leave it alone till winter, so now I don't go in the yard! Doctor told me wasps are worse than bees, as they are dirtier. Great.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Ladyj11347, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I was trying to knock down a nest forming on my porch. It wasn't empty. I was stung by yellow jacket. I do not see a stinger, but the bite area was red and swollen a little. I applied After Bite to the sting. The swelling is almost gone, but it is still red. But I do have a really bad head ache.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.