Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: easttxmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A red wasp stung me on the inside of my thumb. I immediately put ice on it and some OTC itch medicine. I don't have allergies, but my thumb was very red and swollen and seemed to be worse the 2nd day. I made a paste of apple cider vinegar and corn starch and kept that on my thumb for 2 days wrapped in gauze. The spot turned purple like a bruise and today is day 5. I can move my thumb, touch it without pain, and the swelling is almost gone, finally! Aloe vera plant seemed to help a lot also. Take care around hanging plants; it was lurking in my Boston fern when it got me!

Comment from: MoodyMonkeeMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I accidentally disturbed a nest of yellow jackets and received 7 stings. Most were very painful, however 2 of them were agonizing. They were located on the inside of my foot. I had 2 other stings on that foot as well. Nothing relieved the excruciating pain and after 5 hours of suffering I went to the emergency room where I of course waited another 2 hours before receiving any treatment. Two heavy duty prescription pain pills and numbing cream only took the worst edge off and I was able to sleep that night intermittently. They said I am not allergic, however my brother is and was rendered unconscious one time. All the other stings' pain was manageable, not sure why those two were so bad. Next day, it is still painful and itchy but much more normal.

Comment from: maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I stupidly sprayed a wasp nest underneath the ivy in my chimney and while the insects came out and were buzzing around me, I had no idea that they could attack 90 an miles hour in a straight line. I felt like I was shot with a bullet in the neck. It was painful the first day, but seemed better the next. The third day it was red, throbbing and swollen 6 inches in diameter all around the sting. I went to urgent care and they put me on antibiotics and steroids. It has been 8 hours and nothing changed. I am hoping to be better in 24 hours. It seems so ridiculous and the wasp nest is still there. They told me to leave it alone till winter, so now I don't go in the yard! Doctor told me wasps are worse than bees, as they are dirtier. Great.

Comment from: Ladyj11347, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I was trying to knock down a nest forming on my porch. It wasn't empty. I was stung by yellow jacket. I do not see a stinger, but the bite area was red and swollen a little. I applied After Bite to the sting. The swelling is almost gone, but it is still red. But I do have a really bad head ache.

Comment from: cleverknc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was stung three times by yellow jackets on my leg. Yellow jackets are wasps, and the stings hurt. However, 11 hours later, I was still in severe pain. The bites themselves were not red or swollen but the pain was unreal. OTC medicines did nothing. Ice and baking soda helped, but I had to replace the ice frequently to stand the pain. Ended up at Urgent Care and got a steroid shot and Lortab for the pain. My advice is that if it still hurts after 6 or 8 hours, see a doctor. Otherwise, you may be up all night icing them down.

Comment from: FLGrammy17, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I stepped on something in the grass that stung me two days ago on the instep above the sole of my foot. It hurt so bad I could barely walk back to the house about 30 feet. I could see the single sting hole. Looked just like the picture here of a wasp or bee sting. We have both bee and wasp in the area and I did not see the offender.

Comment from: O well, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband was stung by 20 plus Yellow Jacket bees 4 years ago. He still swells up in his tongue, groin, eye, thumb, foot, etc., always only on one side, usually on the left but sometimes on right. We never know when it will happen, 2 or 3 times in 2 weeks or not for a month. It seems worse in summer.

Comment from: LF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was stung by a bee over the summer. I was lying in the sun on the lawn chair and I had my bathing suit on. I could hear the bee buzzing around but didn't think too much about it, the next thing I know the bee was dive bombing. He landed in my groin area and I didn't have time to get up before he stung me. I managed to get the stinger out right away. It hurt for a day or so but I noticed the following week it was red, swollen, hot, itchy, and was painful. I put ice on the area and eventually it went away. I was wondering if that was normal to have a worse reaction a week later then the same day it happened.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?