Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Triquetra331, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was stung by a bee... twice by the same one. It somehow flew up my pant leg, got stuck - go figure - on my left outer thigh, about 2 years ago. I was 33 years old and it was my first sting ever. It was awfully painful, but didn"t swell or itch much. But in that same spot, it is still painful if any pressure is put on the spot.

Comment from: Monica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was stung by a honeybee in July 2013. The honeybee was in my backpack, when I reached my arm in, the bee got caught between my arm and the bag and stung me. It swelled immediately where it first entered with the stinger but an inch down from the entrance swelled 2 inches puffy. It went down after a couple of days and then exactly 7 days to the hour I was stung a huge rash broke out and I got very sick. My doctor said the stinger went under my skin and was still inside. I lost insurance and couldn't go back. Now, 7 months later, I still have a 2 inch puff zone and if I press on it the rise hurts and I feel it for 10 minutes. It looks normal though with no rash or anything. I can't find anything like this anywhere on the web.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was stung by a honey bee on my right eyelid on Jan. 1, 2014. Five days later I am still experiencing swelling of the area around my eye. I was seen in the emergency room the same day of the incident, because my head hurt extremely badly and my eye was swollen shut. I received a steroid shot and Vicodin for the pain. I have been taking Benadryl and using ice packs for the swelling. Each morning I wake up it is as swollen as the day it happened.

Comment from: adgsgasdf, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I once stepped on a wasp nest and dozens of them flew up my pant legs and stung me mercilessly. Too many stings to counts and was very painful at the time but by the next day it was just small red dots, not really itchy and not as bad as mosquito bites.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I don't know what stung me! I got in my car and felt a sting on my neck, reached to feel it and there was a bug/bee or something attached. I panicked and screamed slapping it from my neck, then opened my car door to fan it out of the car. It looked like a black speckle bug. I then pinched the area with my fingers and pulled out the stinger which looked like a spiral green/white or black/white point. My neck was throbbing with pain. My friend put wet tobacco on the area to pull out the poison. After a few minutes, my neck felt better, but I still felt the pain. After taking a bath that night, I noticed a long welt going down my neck from the sting, like someone had scratched me. It was as painful as the sting. I put ointment on it and it burned like crazy! When I woke up the next morning, there were knots in my neck, starting at the sting and down the area where the welt was! I'm going to the doctor!

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

Last summer I was stung about nine times on both legs by yellow jackets. (I was mowing the lawn and ran over their ground nest.) I have been stung before by wasps and bumble bees, but this was awful. Due to the many stings on two limbs, I was told I should have sought medical attention, but instead I applied icepacks and took diphenhydramine (Benadryl). The stings were intensely painful for about seven days and caused severe itching for about five days. What is strange is that I developed a red lump around one sting (the only one that did not itch, so I didn't scratch at it) and that took forever to heal. I still have a reddened area like a scar there. It is almost as if the tissue surrounding the sting died even though it did not appear necrotic nor did it slough off. This was my first yellow jacket stinging, and I could not believe how painful the stings were. I have a fairly high tolerance to pain as I have fibromyalgia and other chronic pain, but I was miserable unless I was in the recliner with ice packs over each sting.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was stung in the mouth by a wasp five weeks ago and had a severe anaphylactic reaction. I was prescribed prednisolone 5mg at 8 per day for 4 days and also 3 hayleve tablets daily. when I stopped the medication severe facial swelling returned. I looked like I had been attacked. I was put on the same medication for four more days and when I stopped the swelling returned. My GP then said continue with prenisolone (8 a day) for 2 days, then 6 for two days etc., etc. until I reached one and then zero tablets. When I got down to four tablets the swelling started to return until I became unrecognizable. I am now back on prednisolone (8 per day) until I can see an immunologist early in October.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?