Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Horsefly74, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I got stung by a wasp just below my left knee on the inner side of my leg. The next morning I had much soreness and pain in my left knee which is still very painful even now, and today is day three since I got stung. I am wondering if the joint pain could be from the sting.

Comment from: Gary, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I disturbed a wasp nest by running into a shrub with a mower. A swarm of yellow jackets literally attacked the vibrating mower which I had to abandon until it was clear. I was stung 10 times from my legs, stomach, arms and neck. The swelling and pain worsened throughout the evening even with the use of home remedies such as vinegar and OTC steroids. After 24 hours the itching and swelling grew to about 4 inch diameters of the associated stings.

Comment from: Sandoz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

In summer 1999, I was stung in the back of the neck by an Africanized wasp. I suffered severe headache, weakness, and light sensitivity for two straight months. The lump left behind has never gone away, and periodically over the years I squeeze a thick, black, foul smelling substance from it.

Comment from: Barry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

About 4 months ago, I grabbed a wasp nest with my left hand. I got stung 5 or 6 times on my ring finger and little finger. Little finger is fine now, first joint on ring finger closest to the nail is fine, but the ring finger joint closest to my knuckle still hurts badly when cold or jarred suddenly. I have been applying ice and wrapping it with sports tape to help it from moving very much. Both the ice and tape help but the pain is still there!

Comment from: JAW, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got stung by a queen bee that flew into a moving car back in the spring. It stung three times in my right leg, around the ankle and thigh (it flew up my pants). There was swelling and burning for a few hours and I'm not allergic to bees, but since the incident there's pain in my ankle specifically when I rotate it and sometimes there's sharp pains that shoot to my knee when I stand up.

Comment from: JPArch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I disturbed a ground nest of yellow jackets. They swarmed me and stung me 5 or 7 times. However, one of the stings on my leg near the ankle feels like a jagged knife is cutting me, even 8 hours later. Then it will just pierce me in pain, then go back to feeling like a laceration. Totally surprised by how much these stings hurt, so many hours later.

Comment from: DSW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was sitting on my legs pulling weeds in the garden when I was stung through my jeans on the inside of my knee by a small bumble bee. These bees had been aggressive all summer stinging me before and stinging my dog, both unprovoked. The first time I was stung in the back. It swelled to the size of a baseball, was painful, red and hot, but went away after a week. The sting on my leg was not near as painful and swelling, and went away in two days. That was two months ago and I have severe pain in that area when I try to bend my leg or when I first stand up after sleeping or sitting. There is no sign of swelling or redness. I am not sure what to do about it.

Comment from: easttxmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A red wasp stung me on the inside of my thumb. I immediately put ice on it and some OTC itch medicine. I don't have allergies, but my thumb was very red and swollen and seemed to be worse the 2nd day. I made a paste of apple cider vinegar and corn starch and kept that on my thumb for 2 days wrapped in gauze. The spot turned purple like a bruise and today is day 5. I can move my thumb, touch it without pain, and the swelling is almost gone, finally! Aloe vera plant seemed to help a lot also. Take care around hanging plants; it was lurking in my Boston fern when it got me!

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?