Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Stewart, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I was stung twice on the temple and once on the shoulder by a yellow jacket wasp. I had been stung by the same wasp 8 weeks earlier. Initially, I had the usual pain of a wasp sting. After over a minute it got more painful and I became dizzy. I sat down and immediately developed a red rash with intense itching. I became disorientated, and decided to take a cold shower to ease the itch. Now I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I lost consciousness in the shower for a minute. I had to be assisted by my wife to my feet. I attempted to get to the car to get to hospital and recognized that I was having an anaphylaxis, I asked hospital to ready epinephrine. I collapsed again, this time without detectable breathing and pulse. I regained consciousness in the car on the back seat. I made it to hospital where immediate epinephrine was administered. I also developed incontinence, severe abdominal pain, burning feet and vomiting. It took 6 hours to get systolic constantly above 90 mmHg for transport to larger hospital ICU. Uneventful recovery.

Comment from: Julia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My daughter received two stings from paper wasps as we approached a nest during the day. We were unaware of it being there. One sting was on topside of the wrist and one was on the forehead. There was localized redness and a small puncture mark-ice pack applied and little inflammation. After 15 minutes of observation, no major reaction. If itchiness or inflammation occurs I will give antihistamine.

Comment from: Deck, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

Our 13 year old daughter was stung by a yellow jacket 48 hours ago and the sight (thigh) has continued to grow red, hard, increasingly swollen, hot (actually has a temp of 100.2) and is developing hives. She is not developing breathing difficulties.

Comment from: RUNE190, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

One week ago I was stung by some kind of bug on the back of my upper arm. The spot stung where I was bitten. As of yesterday, exactly one week later I have a rash spreading down from around the bite to my elbow. It is a red area slightly raised and extremely itchy. The size of this area is about 8 inches long by 2.5 inches wide.

Comment from: samboiscool, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was stung last night on my left thigh. It is swollen and red from my hip to my knee in front and back. It is twice the size of my right leg. There is pain sitting or standing.

Comment from: paula, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

3 days ago my 11 year old son was stung by a large wasp. He has been stung before, but has never had a reaction like this one. In the beginning it looked like a normal sting. Now it has a huge purple area surrounding the sting and it also has heat on it. I looked fine until today when it turned that color. I am getting worried. you very much.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?