Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was stung in the mouth by a wasp five weeks ago and had a severe anaphylactic reaction. I was prescribed prednisolone 5mg at 8 per day for 4 days and also 3 hayleve tablets daily. when I stopped the medication severe facial swelling returned. I looked like I had been attacked. I was put on the same medication for four more days and when I stopped the swelling returned. My GP then said continue with prenisolone (8 a day) for 2 days, then 6 for two days etc., etc. until I reached one and then zero tablets. When I got down to four tablets the swelling started to return until I became unrecognizable. I am now back on prednisolone (8 per day) until I can see an immunologist early in October.

Comment from: berniemay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was swimming, when I was stung by a hornet. I immediately felt a burning sensation where I was stung on the inner thigh. Within minutes, my thigh swelled up to twice its size. Shortly after that, I got hives, my airway started constricting, and my tongue swelled up. I was brought to the local hospital where the doctor gave me three shots. To this day I carry an Epipen.

Comment from: William C., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I took up beekeeping six months ago and have two hives, one that I grew from a captured swarm and another that I took on after someone in my neighborhood moved and let it behind. That second hive was always aggressive and I took special care when working around it; they're highly defensive and start bumping into my bee suit the moment I take the lid of the hive, no matter how long I've smoked them or how many precautions I take. Last weekend I opened up the hive and in the process of bending down to pick up a tool, part of my bee suit opened up and a bunch of aggressive bees flew in and made their way up my back to my face. I wound up getting stung 40 or 50 times. I got away from them okay, but because I passed out a couple of times my wife took me to the emergency room.

Comment from: LovelyLaura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was stung by a bee and immediately felt the effects. The pain subsided in 2 days and the swelling several days after that. But 9 days later, the same bite site began to itch terribly, a little pain returned and my hand re-swelled.

Comment from: Marley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I think I hit a bee/wasp while riding my bike. Something hit my upper chest by my right shoulder and then I felt a minor sting. I swatted the insect away, but never really got a chance to look at what it was because I was going so quickly. I've since experienced a raised red rounded swelling that is sore to the touch but that is also itchy.

Comment from: seraphine, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I got stung by a wasp at 6:30 pm and it left a mark and I have been feeling nausea and don't want to eat or drink anything. It's my first time getting stung and I don't know if I am allergic to wasps.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was stung by a wasp 3 days ago on the right side of my face, near my right eye. Within a minute my vision clouded over so I could barely see. I lay down on the couch and my vision returned after a few minutes. I then stood up and my vision blurred again, though not as badly. I lay down again for a while and when I stood up again, my vision was clear. Then other symptoms developed: swollen lips itch all over and, then my right eye closed, swollen for 3 days. We didn't have anything in the house so I only took Reactine the next day. I'm making arrangements now to get an EpiPen. I've been stung before, but never had much of a reaction before.

Comment from: PaulyB, 75 or over Female Published: February 01

I have had a problem with wasp and mosquito stings all my life and as I get older they are getting worse. When travelling I now take an Epipen, antibiotics and numerous creams. I have been to the Hospital to see an expert who said I am not bad enough to go into their treatment program. I don't know how bad you have to be! Once when stung on my finger the skin peeled back for 5 days and I had my arm in a sling and had to visit the doctor twice a day - if this isn't bad!! What is? I do everything that is suggested to avoid wasps but nothing works and I mean nothing I just have to hope that I don't get stung again and this is stressful during the summer months particularly September. I cannot remember the amount of times I have been to the hospital and clinics when abroad and in the UK which is quite miserable when on holiday. If anyone has the answer please let me know. Obviously they just like me.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?