Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I stupidly sprayed a wasp nest underneath the ivy in my chimney and while the insects came out and were buzzing around me, I had no idea that they could attack 90 an miles hour in a straight line. I felt like I was shot with a bullet in the neck. It was painful the first day, but seemed better the next. The third day it was red, throbbing and swollen 6 inches in diameter all around the sting. I went to urgent care and they put me on antibiotics and steroids. It has been 8 hours and nothing changed. I am hoping to be better in 24 hours. It seems so ridiculous and the wasp nest is still there. They told me to leave it alone till winter, so now I don't go in the yard! Doctor told me wasps are worse than bees, as they are dirtier. Great.

Comment from: Ladyj11347, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I was trying to knock down a nest forming on my porch. It wasn't empty. I was stung by yellow jacket. I do not see a stinger, but the bite area was red and swollen a little. I applied After Bite to the sting. The swelling is almost gone, but it is still red. But I do have a really bad head ache.

Comment from: cleverknc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was stung three times by yellow jackets on my leg. Yellow jackets are wasps, and the stings hurt. However, 11 hours later, I was still in severe pain. The bites themselves were not red or swollen but the pain was unreal. OTC medicines did nothing. Ice and baking soda helped, but I had to replace the ice frequently to stand the pain. Ended up at Urgent Care and got a steroid shot and Lortab for the pain. My advice is that if it still hurts after 6 or 8 hours, see a doctor. Otherwise, you may be up all night icing them down.

Comment from: FLGrammy17, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I stepped on something in the grass that stung me two days ago on the instep above the sole of my foot. It hurt so bad I could barely walk back to the house about 30 feet. I could see the single sting hole. Looked just like the picture here of a wasp or bee sting. We have both bee and wasp in the area and I did not see the offender.

Comment from: O well, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband was stung by 20 plus Yellow Jacket bees 4 years ago. He still swells up in his tongue, groin, eye, thumb, foot, etc., always only on one side, usually on the left but sometimes on right. We never know when it will happen, 2 or 3 times in 2 weeks or not for a month. It seems worse in summer.

Comment from: LF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was stung by a bee over the summer. I was lying in the sun on the lawn chair and I had my bathing suit on. I could hear the bee buzzing around but didn't think too much about it, the next thing I know the bee was dive bombing. He landed in my groin area and I didn't have time to get up before he stung me. I managed to get the stinger out right away. It hurt for a day or so but I noticed the following week it was red, swollen, hot, itchy, and was painful. I put ice on the area and eventually it went away. I was wondering if that was normal to have a worse reaction a week later then the same day it happened.

Comment from: ejg1105, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was stung by a wasp once on back of hand and three times under shirt on side of waist. The day after, I developed extreme swelling in hand, itchy and painful. I became very tired and my joints hurt. I applied ice and am taking Benadryl. Two days later and I'm still with swelling and in pain; going to the doctor.

Comment from: Triquetra331, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was stung by a bee... twice by the same one. It somehow flew up my pant leg, got stuck - go figure - on my left outer thigh, about 2 years ago. I was 33 years old and it was my first sting ever. It was awfully painful, but didn"t swell or itch much. But in that same spot, it is still painful if any pressure is put on the spot.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?