Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was stung by a lone yellow jacket this week, after I accidentally disturbed it's ground nest. Felt just the usual burning pain, slight swelling so went back to work. Within 20 min. or so I began seeing an aura around everything, then started hearing a pulse in my head. My heart began pounding and breathing became labored, broke into a sweat and a co worker caught me before I hit the ground. My blood pressure tanked and I was going into shock! I kept going in and out of conspicuousness and was rushed to the local ER where they plugged me into IV`s and monitors while they tried to bring my pressure back up for over an hour. After spending the night in ICU I was released but have to keep taking benedryl and prednisone for 5 days. It's now 3 days since the incident and while I'm feeling better, I am very weak and so blown up from the steroids I feel sick to my stomach. Can't believe a little weenie bug brought me down like that! I've been stung before with little to no reaction...can't believe this!

Comment from: Inga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I was stung by a wasp on top of my foot, directly into a vein. The sting hole was bleeding and the vein knotted up. I took Benadryl right away and then used my Pro-Air inhaler. I felt the venom move up my leg and through my waist, chest and shoulders. Within 20 minutes I had an asthma attack even after using my inhaler. I could feel my brain swell which caused blurred vision and inability to walk steadily. By the time my neighbor drove me to an urgent care clinic, I was in full Anaphylactic shock. I know the people who work there and they didn't recognize me because I was swollen and red all over. I was given a buffet of injections and lung vapor treatment, I responded well and was able to go home after two hours. Benadryl bought me some time but the medical team saved my life and I now have an Epi-Pen kit at home.

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.
Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your bee and wasp sting?