Patient Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment

How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: Jackie, Published: November 08

It started with bilateral trochanter pain 6 months ago. I tried ice and ibuprofen. I was still in pain. Now, both ischial tuberosities (sitting bones) have started hurting fiercely. I am on ice and ibuprofen at another site. I have no injury or repetitive issues. I am 57 and already have had chronic pain from degenerative disk disease in the neck. I don't know how many more pains I can deal with. I have an appointment with the orthopedist, and am considering seeing a rheumatologist.

Comment from: Susanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My dentist was drilling down a mercury amalgam filling to make room for a partial denture to be fitted, as the space was too tight. My mouth was full of the mercury filling that mixed with my saliva. I had no choice at the time but to swallow most of it although I spat out the liquid mercury onto a tissue as well. A day or so later I began to suffer from blurred vision, muscle pains and weakness, as well as exhaustion.

Comment from: Sumya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

While hiking, I was stung by a big black fluffy flying insect (most possibly a bee) on my neck. Immediately pain started and soon after I had a remarkable round swollen red big area on my neck. At that moment sting spot was like a kind of red dot in the center of the circle. I put anti-sting (not sure about it since other hikers gave it to me) on that to help me with the pain. It worked for the first day. The day after and the following day it was extremely itchy and the center dot, turned to yellowish color. I was scared since I felt it can be a symptom of infection. As on the 4th day (today), the sting is dark brown with same red area around but less itchy. I wonder if I am in a middle of a normal process of healing or something unusual is happening with all these colors on my neck.

Comment from: lady b, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My 3 year old was stung by a bee three weeks ago on his forehead and in less than 2 hours his face was disfigured. I rushed him to the emergency room. They gave him some medicine for the pain and some allergy medicine. The problem is from the time he got stung he has not stopped spitting.

Comment from: KathleenR, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I treated my wasp sting with ice, Benadryl and ibuprofen.

Comment from: Sandy, Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I stepped on a wasp. The area around my little toe swelled, turned red, and hurt like crazy. I began soaking it in Epsom salts. It hurt worse than anything I could remember keeping me up all night. I was stung 4 times last year on my neck and arm but don't remember pain and swelling like this. After 4 days and no sleep due to pain, I went to urgent care where they took out the stinger and gave me antibiotics; it was infected. One week later, I still cannot put a shoe on due to swelling, redness, and pain.

Comment from: BeeWise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Bees stung over me 20 times when I walked near or on their nest. It was so sudden, and I never saw the bees until I kept feeling stings and realized what was happening. Fortunately, I was close to home and ran into the shower, which got them off me. There were over 10 bees in the shower and a few flying around. The pain was intense and I was dripping wet and not ready to go to urgent care. The pharmacist advised Benadryl tablets and a cortisone cream. I saw the doctor the following day when each site swelled up and burned like fire. He prescribed prednisone and an EpiPen for any future attacks, which may result in a more severe reaction. Today the swelling and itching have lessened, and the pain is gone. It's a good idea to have a plan in case of a bee attack!

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Diagnosis Question: How did you diagnose whether your sting was from a bee or a wasp?